And you thought your fish had no personality?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Poor guppy!

Some of my fish display well defined personalities, others do not! I tend to get attached to those that do show some brain activity :D
Out of all my fish only a few really stand out for their personality...the Yamabuki Ogon has been energetic and friendly since the moment I introduced him in the pond he's acted like he knew me, he followed me around, and I can almost picture him smiling...everyone love him!
The one in my avatar is totally opposite! He has a much gentler way of swimming, he's not shy but only takes food from me!
My Matsuba is very shy! I've had him for 4 yrs, and still every time I go by the pond he acts like he's afraid of me....and then there is the one that hides in a cave at the surface of the pond, and only comes out if I lower the water level!
For a long time I thought it was sick, but after several month I'm starting to think he's just scared.
I didn't know fish could be hiding this long...talk about being shy!
I feel bad for him...I wish there was something I could do to encourage him to join the group:(

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Some of my fish display well defined personalities, others do not! I tend to get attached to those that do show some brain activity
Ditto. :)
I have one fish that is very confident, calm, loves to explore new things and all the other fish will follow him.
I have another fish that is a pain in the butt. He is the most skittish fish I have ever had and after 8 years he is still no better. He makes all the other fish jumpy by being around him.
But, you gotta love all your kids.....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We have one fish that is the definite "leader of the pack". She's the first one to come to the edge in the spring when everyone else is acting like they've never seen a human before. And once she's checked it out, the rest all follow. We all fight over her as our favorite!

@Gemma I've told this story here before, but we once met a man who saw one of his big koi get stabbed by a heron. He scared the bird off and as it flew away it dropped the fish back in the pond. The man watched and watched for it and finally gave up, figuring it must have just died in one of his caves or gotten picked off again when he wasn't there to see it happen. ONE YEAR LATER the fish finally reappeared - it had been hiding all that time! They obviously have the ability to remember and change their behavior based on experience!

Ask a Question