Anglers always wondered how the CyHV3 virus infected their carp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Please watch the entire video first as proof of my statement bellow
The Uk Anglers have always wondered why they have the CyHV3 [KHV] virus in their fishing lakes this is proof of lakes in Europe allowing Feral Koi to be fished for alongside their wild cousins .
It is a know fact that the largest the wild carp have been sold then transported from lake to lake across Europe and across the channel so that Carp fishermen can catch these champion sized Carp in UK Lakes .
I was quite suprised when watching this video when they caught a Feral Koi Carp and seemed pleased as punch to do so .
It appears to me that all their recent biosecurity seems for nothing as the horse has already bolted so to speak.
Long is it that we the koi keepers have been held to blame here in the UK, it apears that now we know the truth and are not to blame ......

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I just feel sad, watching this :(
In New Zealand Tula Feral koi are considered as pests wrecking the native fishes eco-system and are hunted down by New Zealander's and shot with bow and arrows on hunts that they organise for weekend sport.
In all but two states in Australia again they are considered pest having gone feral there was talk of the Australian government intoducing the CyHV3 virrus to cut their numbers ,
The question is how did they get to be feral in the first place , did they escape or did man dispose of them into the natural eco-systems of those countries ?

Dave

Last edited:

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well here in America we shoot carp with bow and arrow. In my heyday it was not uncommon for a 8 hr night with 2 good shooters to stick close to a half ton of them. There were probably a dozen of us that did that every weekend on just one lake and I'm here to tell ya,we didn't even dent the population! Good times. I never saw any big goldfish or koi in the 20 years I did that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Well here in America we shoot carp with bow and arrow. In my heyday it was not uncommon for a 8 hr night with 2 good shooters to stick close to a half ton of them. There were probably a dozen of us that did that every weekend on just one lake and I'm here to tell ya,we didn't even dent the population! Good times. I never saw any big goldfish or koi in the 20 years I did that.

Are you talking about the breed of Carp that start to jump when they think they are threatend My friend ?
Watching that on a documentary I'm amazed people havent been killed by some of the larger ones ?
Sadly these things happen when fish that dont belong in your country get on the loose as they did , I believe from a research station .
They are at the moment in danger of invading the Mississippi which if they do gives them access to most of Americas other water ways am I correct ?

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
No dave,we don't have those monsters in my area yet. We have the big fat buggers like in that video. Truly am not sure what species carp we have but I will look.

We have common carp.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
No dave,we don't have those monsters in my area yet. We have the big fat buggers like in that video. Truly am not sure what species carp we have but I will look.
Cant remember off the top of my head at the moment smaug but they are silver in colouration and can be quite dangerous if they hit you jumping in your boat

Dave

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
All I can find is they are " common carp" in our main lakes. It's the "Asian carp" that is that jumping menace.

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
images.jpg
Asian carp

images.jpg
common carp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Even the common carp is an invader to the US , I believe it was the Asian Carp we saw in the Documentary [are they good eating]?

Dave

Ask a Question