Annual koi show

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Its our annual koi show tomorrow folks and our 21st show wish us luck .
It's not about the winning that comes second its about talking to people meeting new friends and catching up with old ones .
Friends come from far and wide some not seen in many a year, we have a fun day
doing fun things .
Will tell you all about it when we get back we even have a friend cat sitting lol

rgrds

Dave

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Have fun and PLEASE post pics. Wish I had the time and the money to travel and go see as many koi shows as one could possibly see in a year or two or three....... LOL The few I have attended I had a blast and looking forward to attending another one soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Well what a brilliant day this turned out to be we took a number of seconds bought a green Chagoi and a white matsuba total cost £75 forthe two of them they are beautiful they really are.
We took care not to buy any with the sumi showing dark black prefaring instead the lighter sumi, which will come out as the koi grows.
The Chagio is a beautiful olive green both were in QT for three months so cn go straight in the pond which they did,both coming up to the surface to eat which is a great sign.
Val won a stack ofbeautiful floral trays on the tombola (I didnt win anyting) :(
We had a family reunion as well Vals Aunty Mavis and Uncle Len arrived at the show with Sue Val's Cousin who Val had not seen in 40 years then we bumped into Maggie and her Husband Glenn who are members of our club so it was hugs all round and numerous Photo's Taken..
We had the prize giving and headed home at 16:30 pm tired but happy and a great day was had by all :D
We also have Photos of Val with a Barn owl on her hand then head tyhen shoulders whe we down load them you can have a look .
Sadly we forgot to take show Photos due to all the exitment bu I do have ones of the other year to show to give you an idea and lots of koi:D.

IM000322.jpg IM000318.jpg

IM000312.jpg IM000319.jpg

IM000314.jpg IM000320.jpg

IM000315.jpg IM000321.jpg

IM000316.jpg IM000320.jpg

IM000317.jpg

IM000328.jpg IM000329.jpg

IM000330.jpg IM000331.jpg

IM000332.jpg IM000333.jpg

IM000335.jpg IM000336.jpg

Here is how we do shows UK style admittedly we only field 12 Vats but with the club growing again, hopefully we will add some more .
Will download them as we get them and if our camera allows will download the ones we took as a matter of interest the bottom right is of me being awarded a glassware prize i:e the ones that are given out on the day not the Rosettes that are awarded in September, above is a photo of Val, image 9 are our koi please enyoy :D

rgrds

Dave

Attachments

• IM000337.jpg
    IM000337.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 295
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Might be a day or two waiting for the next photos its down to Val's Aunty and Uncle but enjoy the photos I posted

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh yes they are forgot to mention the chap awarding me with the prize was non other than the chairman of the British koi Keepers Society .
Peter has a real soft spot for our clu and tries to get down to our shows every year.. :D
We have alott of respect for the man and he for us and our club.

rgrds

Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My apologies to all Koi-Keepers for my ignorance, but..... Are the shows about JUDGING, like best-in-show, color, conformation, stuff like that? As well as information-sharing. Oh, I perfectly understand about the fellowship and all, but the only comparison I have to draw from is cat shows, dog shows, horse shows, etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Mmathis said:
My apologies to all Koi-Keepers for my ignorance, but..... Are the shows about JUDGING, like best-in-show, color, conformation, stuff like that? As well as information-sharing. Oh, I perfectly understand about the fellowship and all, but the only comparison I have to draw from is cat shows, dog shows, horse shows, etc.
Maggie you are indeed correct in what you say but its not only that , we never go to win but to show the general public just what koi are.
Information changes hands on the latest must haves in equipment foods books etc but its the fellowship of the hobby that brings in friends from far and wide.
One person we have come each year is Peter who is a dear friend of the club and former Chairman of the Briish koi keepers Society we spent a great half hour chatting away with him as we do every year he is a dear man and travels Hundereds of miles just to come to our show.
Why, because we turn out good fish each year ?
No its because we are a great little show that punches well above its weight , there is the friendly "Janner" banter the standards set by such a small club are second to non.
We have as shows go become through the help of friends the only members of our club to have done all the shows a record we are proud to hold :D
We have fellow koi keepers both local and distant also traveling down to the Southwest many are known to us or other members of the club so all in all a great day is had by all .

rgrds

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice show Dave, great looking fish too

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Addy we all take great pride in showing our koi , they are the best koi which we in the South West of the UK have to offer.
Some of our members have show'n at the national show and done rather well for themselves add the value of all these koi together and the total will run into thousands of Pounds UK.
We have obviously not as much money as some folks in the club but try our best and have taken a number of classware throphy's in the past, the last being in 2011 and the highest prize weve won so far being Second Best in size one, with more than a number of third best in size one and nore than three unique koi in the past.
But as I've already said it isnt the winning its the taking part and showing you fish to the General public some 300 of them at each show.

rgrds

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very neat! I am a goldie and shubbie person (like my garden pond). Koi are beautiful, it is neat those that have koi show them, share them with others.

Ask a Question