Another Alage Question

Reaction score
Ok...I have has string algae and green water, but I don't know what sort of algae I have now. Nothing is stopping it. My water is clear but there seems to a lot of fine green settlement on the bottom and shelves and a few places have a little string algae. I have tried the quilt batting and perioxde and it doesn't help. As soon as the fish start swimming this stuff moves around and then settles again. I keep scooping it out. Never had this problem...microlift isn't doing a thing, nor is Koi Clay.Anything that worked in the past is not working. I have lots of plants, floaters, a bio filter going since May. The pond was cleaned this spring very well. It is about 1000 gallons, with three koi about 6 inches, and two little baby fish. I don't like to use chemicals if I don't have to. Antyhing natural beside the hay, cause that didn't do a thing either. Suggestions would be appreciated.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
can i ask if its all over your plant roots too ? as i have the same problem and my plants are all struggling to survive ..i too have tried all you have maybe someone will be able to help :D

Reaction score
Ive never tried this, but I have read that Daphnia will help control algae in the pond as these little invertebrates use algae as food. Not only that your fish can feed on theDaphnia as well. There are a few places like William Tricker, INC that sell these inverts. You might could try that, but also is your water chemistry correct?? Is there anything that could be adding to the algae in the pond?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
hay..did you mean barley straw? barley straw extract works well if you start using it when you open the pond, not wait till theres a problem

Reaction score
My pots are planted so I don't know if it on the roots, but I wouldn't think so because they are in soil. But I do find this stuff on the stems of the lilies. It is nasty. I have not heard of Daphnia, but did a quick search on it. One article said the women used it wilth success but she takes her fish out and does not return them for weeks after. I am not to sure about that one. I will have to do some more research. And yes..I did mean barley staw, but probably to late. Anyone that could help with ohther ideas, sounds like a fellow member is having the same problem.

Reaction score
Oh, my water chemistry is good except the ph is high, about 9, but that could be from the algae. Everything else is perfect and the water itself is clear.

Reaction score
I started with new water this year, and I have done water changes. But the water itself is clear, just this layer of green stuff. I will continue water changes and see if that will help. Thanks.

Reaction score
I have used Algaefix and then followed up a week later with Ecofix. So far this combination has worked wonders with my pond. It hasn't hurt the fish or my palnts. I did have to watch the skimmer and scoop out the dead alage that was clogging it up after using the Algaefix. It creates a layer of the dead algea that appears to be on top of the water as bubbles, as it goes into the skimmer, I use a small minnow net to scoop it out. I takes about 1 day of this scooping (every 2-3 hrs.), then it clears right up. About a week later I add the Ecofix to start the biological treatment to make it more difficult for the algae to return. FWIW, my pond is in direct sunlight all day long making a wonderful opportunity for the algae to try growing back..

Reaction score
Well Dr. Dave...I don't like chemicals and have only used Microblift which is suppose to be good. What do you do to keep your water clear. I never had this problem before and I didn't use chemicals either. But I am looking for some kind of advise that has worked for others. I prefer natural things if at all possible. This I don't think is going to go away by itself...but I could be wrong...what do you think?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The only thing I use is my 55 gallon drum bio filter that I made myself for less than $100.00. It keeps my pond crystal clear. DrCase has the same filter, and if you search bio filters using my name and his, you will find the posts and photos on how to build it.
My water comes out like bottled drinking water.

Reaction score
Looking at Olee's comment your problem could be the fact that the algae has died and the debris has fallen to the bottom have you tried a pond vac to remove it? If so did it then reappear?

Have you have a lot of bright sunlight lately as this could cause an algae bloom, I always find blanket weed is more of a problem in areas that get the most sunlight

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i also use the same basic filter as the doctors except mine is a stock tank not a barrel, this year before my fish went back to the outdoor pond i intentionally let the pond go green. ran my filter and my little 9 watt u.v for 3 days then turn it off.my water went crystal clear, has stays that way...i have 12+ hours aday of full sun.. the algecide creates a bad situation because the mass amount of dead alge feeds the next cycle of alge.

Ask a Question