Another bog building question....depth

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks! ugh, my dream pond is getting more expensive now. I just had to reduce the size already because the size of the liner.. and this is just a planning, no land to build on yet. lol. I just need to plan it and get all the items/cost then see where I can get the budget from :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Our bog is 4 feet deep - I had two helpers who dug until the grill was hot and I could feed them! Actually we used a pump vault in our bog, so that determined our minimum depth.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our bog is 4 feet deep - I had two helpers who dug until the grill was hot and I could feed them! Actually we used a pump vault in our bog, so that determined our minimum depth.
With our rocks it took me 3/4 days to dig out the bog area, with a tractor.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Zman, I know the problem. I love raised pond but also a bog. I'm trying to work out how to have a raised pond and a bog together. I might have to have half raised instead but that would still work :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
That's my problem. I had the pond first, and it's raised (dug out of a topsoil hill we had in the yard). The sumacs were planted around the waterfall feeder, and the pond was dug out of the remainder of the hill. Everything was established when we decided to put a bog in, and our yard slopes away from where the original pond is, so our bog is post-pond, not pre-pond like most of you with bogs have. Darn we built the thing bass-akwards. I'm still hoping the bog will be an effective filter next year once the rest of the gravel and plants are in.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Lisak1 Four feet deep?! That's a LOT of gravel! Do roots really need that much depth?? I want a bog but I have no where to put it for it to look natural because my pond is raised.

Probably not for the roots, but the first foot or so is actually filled with larger rocks (about baseball sized around the vault and manifold) so the gravel doesn't fill the whole four foot depth. The gravel starts at roughly the 3 foot level if I remember correctly. And yes, it was a LOT of gravel. We had a landscaper with a bobcat here that day doing some other work for us, so we had him move and dump it for us. Otherwise I would still be shoveling!

I know there are opposing opinions about using a bog for filtration, but that's the purpose of ours - it's our only filtration. So if it's not filtering (as some will tell you) then I'm not sure what is, as our pond water is as clear as when it comes out of the hose. Our plants grow like crazy in the bog. I have a clump of irises that needs to be separated this fall - we stare at each other every day, wondering who will win that battle! The roots on those don't generally get all that deep, but they do get heavy! And especially when you add gravel to the mix.

And Larkin gives good advice - consider the effect you want with your bog. At first I just wanted to get things growing in it so I wasn't really careful about what I put where. But it's really another garden bed - you want it to add to your overall effect, not look like a jumble of plants. Also, some plants are real bog bullies (I'm looking at YOU, mini cattails!) and will overtake other plants to the point you will forget they were even there until they timidly poke their heads out again the next spring. So give everyone lots of room to spread out! If I had the space I would have made my bog much longer and wider. It's a fun and different kind of garden area - and biggest bonus... never needs watering!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I use the flex pvc and schedule 40 connectors. Make sure the glue is blue in color. I have had great success so far. None of my connectors are buried just the flex pipe is buried. I also use ferncos where I can. Makes for quick removal when needed.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I honestly feel there is a limit to depth and how well you can clean the bog if needed. I have almost 9 yards of gravel in my bog, I can only imagine how bad it would be to work the gravel if it was 2' deep and 18 yards, 4' deep would be 36 yards of gravel and would have taken me a month to clean when first setting up. Cleaning out that much gravel if it got a lot of build up would be a monster task to take on. I've really never seen much root impact past 12-18" so that leaves the rest building up and eventually a big risk of going aerobic in places of little or no water flow.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I honestly feel there is a limit to depth and how well you can clean the bog if needed. I have almost 9 yards of gravel in my bog, I can only imagine how bad it would be to work the gravel if it was 2' deep and 18 yards, 4' deep would be 36 yards of gravel and would have taken me a month to clean when first setting up. Cleaning out that much gravel if it got a lot of build up would be a monster task to take on. I've really never seen much root impact past 12-18" so that leaves the rest building up and eventually a big risk of going aerobic in places of little or no water flow.

You may be right. Time will tell I guess. So far so good. Our thought process was more gravel, more surface area for bacteria to colonize. And since we were limited in width and length, we went deeper. Again, we didn't fill the whole thing with gravel - we have larger rocks and stones in the bottom around the vault and centipede.

We couldn't find much information on bog building when we were in the planning stages (and most of it is anti-bog as a filtering option) so we're kind of testing theories I guess. We toured a pond that had a bog that was six feet deep but only about 2x3 at the top - basically a long shaft for the water to filter up through. It was a retrofit to an existing pond but the owner wanted to try it and see how it would work. He had it about 5 feet from him pond with a small stream connecting it. He was still running his bio-filter at the time, but had plans to eliminate it if his "bog" idea worked out. His pond is on an upcoming tour - maybe I'll get a chance to see it again and find out.

Ask a Question