TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Hello fine peoples of this wonderful online forum, I am working on the planning for my eagle project, and decided to revamp a pond at my local botanical gardens. The pond in its current state needs quite a bit of help, but the main issue is a massive green water problem. The botanical garden is currently using algaecide ( no wonder they cant keep fish alive ) but we all know there is only one real way to solve a green water problem. Here is the plan: a large ish 10-12 x 8-10 bog with a depth of 14-18 ish inches. The gardens already has an unused skimmer box in place, so I will utilize that to pull water from the pond. I will post photos below.

Firstly, a couple of questions:

1. what flow rate do you think I need? I was thinking around 5000 gph. This is a fairly large pond but they already have a massive waterfall doing at least 5-10 thousand gallons per hour.

2. what pipe size should I use, I was thinking 2 inches for the main pipes and then going down to 3/4 inch for the individual bog manifolds.

3. depth? It needs to be a reasonable depth for filtering purposes, but I don't want to go to deep in case it needs to be cleaned or repairs must be made.

4. do you guys have recommendations for pond pumps? I would like to set the gardens up for success in the long run but aquascape is probably a little out of the budget.

the pond in at its best: I will attempt to make it look like this again but withought the greenness
IMG_7520.jpg

IMG_7518.jpg

possible spillway area:
IMG_7513.jpg

from the main bridge looking onto the bog area: you can see the pond is very overgrown

IMG_7516.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I don't know if you have enough time to wait around and fool with it - but I wonder if any nearby pond stores would donate any of your materials, since it is for an Eagle Project and to benefit the botanical garden. Just an idea!

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I have to respond before reading the whole post -- THIS IS AWESOME!
I am Mom to two Eagles and this is a fantastic Eagle Project idea!!!!!!
Thanks! I am really excited, it is a pretty perfect project for me.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I don't know if you have enough time to wait around and fool with it - but I wonder if any nearby pond stores would donate any of your materials, since it is for an Eagle Project and to benefit the botanical garden. Just an idea!
I am planning on going to the local pond store and the hardware store ( I am also rebuilding a smaller bridge for the waterfall ) to ask for material donations. It would be a huge help for funding if that works out!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Talk to the local building supply house, and i would also talk to the local paper, start a go fund me page PLAY UP THE EAGLE SCOUT bit .... its great timing some patriots may pick you up. And spread a little good news in the world today.

1. what flow rate do you think I need? I was thinking around 5000 gph. This is a fairly large pond but they already have a massive waterfall doing at least 5-10 thousand gallons per hour. ......................Looks like there are two skimmers on the pond and my guess would be the large area closest in the picture is a 12 x 12 and seeing as the rocks are all over , it's probably not that deep, so I'll say 1'x6" and total length at 24 feet with the stream end at 6 feet wide . that's 5200 gallons but you said there is a water fall so it's hard to guess. but lets say for argument size you have 7000 gallons two skimmers with filter pads to a waterfall. hopefully a biofalls. if that is the case i would throw at max 3,000 to 3,500 gph at the bog . The question is is there flow throughout the pond or do you need 5000 gph and branch off a return jet for circulation preventing dead spots

2. what pipe size should I use, I was thinking 2 inches for the main pipes and then going down to 3/4 inch for the individual bog manifolds. ...........................2" feed and stay with 2" for the baffle you want to fill the pipe but you don't want to create a pressured flow you want displacement without a lot of pressure. the water will self stabilize and circulate being buried .

3. depth? It needs to be a reasonable depth for filtering purposes, but I don't want to go to deep in case it needs to be cleaned or repairs must be made. .................I agree with 18"

4. do you guys have recommendations for pond pumps? I would like to set the gardens up for success in the long run but aquascape is probably a little out of the budget............... miracles can happen...........

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
So exciting! Way to go.

I would stick with 2 inch pvc pipes in the bog. I don't think you would want to drop down to 3/4 inch.
Sounds good, all that flow has to have somewhere to go!

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Talk to the local building supply house, and i would also talk to the local paper, start a go fund me page PLAY UP THE EAGLE SCOUT bit .... its great timing some patriots may pick you up. And spread a little good news in the world today.

Will do!

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
YOU NEVER MENTIONED THAT YOU ARE A SCOUT!! That’s awesome!
Thanks! I really enjoy the program. It presents me with a ton of opportunities I would never have if I were not active in scouting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
When my kids started the scouting experience, a speaker told them "Eagle Scout is the one thing you achieve in high school that you should put on a resume." It says something about who you are.
Another tidbit was: "when you get done with your Life Scout rank, you are halfway there!" (The joke is that there is a LOT to do for the Eagle rank, including SO MUCH paperwork. But you will get there!!!!!! I think it is super - and as you said, what a perfect Eagle project for you to do! We will all enjoy hearing about it!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
believe it or not a was a scout on my way to my eagle badge. that is until we went camping one year and the scout master told us no one was to go across the pond and get out of their boat unless it was an emergency and NOT to tease the GIRL SCOUT in the cabins. Well YOU GUESS IT we went over to the girl scout camp but we um did it at night and we um let the goats into the girls dorm . And well we got caught . the rest is a long story but when you heard the screaming as you were paddling across the pond and lol so hard you couldn't even row welllllllllll it's no surprise we got busted but it still makes me lol as I'm typing this

Ask a Question