another ''green water'' thread

Reaction score
Country
United States
for ten or so weeks water was crystal clear but once august arrived water got green and stayed that way . while water was clear our three stones that waterfall tumbles down got really black alga [?] which i scrubbed off twice a week which turned savio filter black quickly . with cloudy water we have now the stones are not getting black at all . i use ''alga fix'' weekly but currently i see no change in green problem . pond is about 2500 gallons and has five big water lilys . couple large trees to east southeast shade pond for about half the day . heron has been better this year but has still left us with just nine comets and i wonder if i slightly over feed them and if that is part of our problem although i'd have expected that to cause problem weeks earlier. i have checked other green water threads and they say more plants and zero chemicals is answer . by the way , when first started pond after winter it was cloudy and i cured that by adding some quilt batting to filter which seems to work miracles for cloudy water , and it did , but while it catches a lot of our current alga pond is still green . thanks for your time . . .peace

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, more plants and zero chemicals! BTW, water lilies are great for shade, but they don’t do much at all for water quality. You need plants that have roots directly in contact with the water. It will take a little while, but be patient. Yes, overfeeding is one contributing factor!

Please refresh our memories…..how big is your pond and where do you live?

Reaction score
Country
United States
12x20 about 2500 gallon , nw ohio [sylvania ] . by the way , also pond about 100x460 crosses our backyard , it is shared with about 6 or7 other houses . . .peace......oops , dimensions in feet .

Ask a Question