Another heron attack

Reaction score
Got hit for the second time this year. First time he only got some comets. This morning he nabbed one of my largest and best koi. I've had the pond netted up until the last couple days. I hadn't see a heron in a couple months so I though I was safe. Turns out I was wrong. I'm now looking to build a roll that will be able to roll the net up with ease, kind of like a pool cover. That way I can easily net the pond when were not around. Anyone else have something similar?

Reaction score
Gosh, someone is doing this idea. I think it might be user R&DK. Do a search and hopefully you'll find it.

Sorry to hear about losing the fish.

Reaction score
oh no. that stinks. Especially when it is one of your favs.
Do you have a heron statue of any type. I have heard that they won't attack the fish if there is another heron there.

Reaction score
3qtkidz said:
oh no. that stinks. Especially when it is one of your favs.
Do you have a heron statue of any type. I have heard that they won't attack the fish if there is another heron there.

Yup, I actually have two heron statues out. I think he got smart. I know the statues should not be out during mating season, but i believe that's over.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I use covers made from fencing material and PVC. This is an old photo from before the Japanese bridge was added and the foliage around the pond.

Attachments

• DSCF1749.jpg
    DSCF1749.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 365

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Its watching your pond
Do you have a son on summer vacation ?
That needs a security job

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think if I had to put wires up, electric fences or netting I would fill my pond in.
There is a heron rookery less than a 1/2 mile away from me.
After I built my first pond a heron came to visit it one morning. Lucky me.hadn't put fish in it yet. I bought a water scarecrow and set it up. Then I added fish.
I never saw the heron again but what I did see one morning was a big pile of bird dodo a few feet away.
I don't live on the river but it sort of raps around me. I can see it from the front of my property and the back also.
I know that Osprey and Bald Eagles take a short gut and fly over my place to get to the fiver behind me.
The scarecrow will not work on these. So as soon as my winter cover comes off I put the cooleroo up.

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of ponds that have fishing wire strung on stakes -- all across the pond in all
directions. This would prevent them from getting in the pond. Also have you looked into
the fido fences?

Sorry for you fish loss and also the constant worry.

Reaction score
DoDad suggested stringing fishing line across your pond to support a net on top. I did just that and it works great. It takes Deb and I about 5 minutes tops to get the net deployed.

We only take the net off when we are here and are going to be in and out of the back yard. When it is off we have a scarecrow motion detector sprayer and a fake heron too.

I have plans for a new system that will drastically reduce if not eliminate the need for the fishing string..

1) on two ends of your pond drive in two posts (or find another way to attach a plastic covered cable to either side). The cable will need to be taut; you can use turnbuckles for this. So now you have a taut cable stretching across two sides of your pond. On one side of each cable mount the post far enough back from the edge of your pond to allow the net to be stored when not in use.

2) Have a shade cloth company make you a custom order 30-50% net with grommets every foot on each side. Make sure they double tape the sides too. The size will need to be designed for your pond and to connect it to both cables allow for pulleys and springs.

3) attach small pulleys on a small spring to each grommet and onto the cables. The spring will help keep the net taut. The small pulleys will make deployment and retirement easier.

So now you have two cables running along opposite sides of the pond. Onto these cables are a series of pulleys connected to a shade cloth net on each side. If you set the posts on one side back a bit from the pond edge what you will have is the net bunched up on that side when not in use. When you are ready to use it, you have two pieces of rope attached to the net/shade cloth and you just pull it into place. Same for retirement. Just pull it back across the pond and out of the way for storage.

Reaction score
I recommend using green metal fence posts for attaching the cables. The are not unsightly, are relatively easy to drive in, and strong enough to have a taut cable.

Ask a Question