Another koi website bites the dust

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I recieved this message today from Peter Waddington koi guru's website themtherekoyas so anyone you know who uses it if you have stuff on there it may be a good idea to save it off :-

I regret to have to do this but It's either that if the oposite party
agrees or I will be completely destroyed.

My lawyer just backed out and let me down big time 1 day before a court
hearing.
Afraid he would not win And i would get into even more trouble as he is not
specialized in IT law.

So there is no other option, I've had it with internet and koi don't want
anything to do with it anymore.
If the oponent party agrees with what I proposed the forum will be
completely gone from the internet maybe even within hours.

I found out that justice doesn't exist and you need money to buy it money I
don't have and 50.000 euro in dept is something that will destroy me
financially

I've lost all faith so this is the only option left

Jurgen

Sad when this happens dont you think ?
Unless they can think of a way of keeping it going
Dave

Last edited:

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
John, I had to read the post twice, I think Dave needs to highlite what is Jurgens message and what is Daves. Sounds like Dave is saying he's done with it, when it's actually Jurgen. Sad to see it go but in all honesty, that forum has been stale and boring for some time. only a few people that post regularly, and as anyone knows that has viewed the forum. Peter and Jurgen have quite opinionated views on filtration and koi keeping. I would rather stay with the three forums I use now.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yeah, I registered so I could read the forum since particular images do not show for guest, "not registered" readers and I never have posted on it.

One day, I tried to log in and found out my account was deleted. I then tried to create an account and I was told my IP address was banned and now I can't even read their forum posts while acting as a GUEST. :confused:

I have always been quite critical with how Mr. Waddington markets his E.R.I.C., but this is not the same in saying I am critical of the E.R.I.C. I think the ERIC is the best conventional, static media bio-filter out there even though it is a bit expensive.

I don't know what's going on... I was told that Mr. Waddington was trying to take entire ownership and management of the forum so there was going to be "changes".

I used to enjoy reading some of the quite old forum posts there. Now, I guess we can lump Them There Koyas with the Doc Johnson's KoiVet public forum, where he has a message on his site stating, "Koivet Had a Forum But times change. Most of these old forums have moved on to Twitter, Instagram, Facebook. Koivet has no forum mainly because I cannot be around to make sure everyone plays nice. Enough said."

What's the deal with these fellas in just wanting to outright delete the forums? I do not understand it. Immense amount of useful info on them.

Simply make it "read-only" and keep the information available for folk to read. So, then, all you would have to do is pay the storage fee, which is incredibly cheap (to me at least).

Anyways... It is quite aggravating and is why I PDF archive 98% of forum threads and even websites that I read.

For those curious, Adobe makes an excellent Website to PDF converter program. It is expensive but worth it. There are free versions out there, but they are often limited or permanently places an annoying watermark on the PDF content.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I have always been quite critical with how Mr. Waddington markets his E.R.I.C.,
Please elaborate...

I think the ERIC is the best conventional, static media bio-filter out there even though it is a bit expensive.
Incidentally, it's been a long time since I first started being interested in filters and understanding how they work. All these filters are basically large containers containing media that water flows past. There is another British brand which is modular and quite nice. The biggest cost, I believe comes from making purpose specific giant injection molds to manufacture them. Personally, I still think that aerated moving media is the best kind of biomedia.

Last edited:

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
1) Please elaborate...

2) Incidentally, it's been a long time since I first started being interested in filters and understanding how they work. All these filters are basically large containers containing media that water flows past. There is another British brand which is modular and quite nice. The biggest cost, I believe comes from making purpose specific giant injection molds to manufacture them. Personally, I still think that aerated moving media is the best kind of biomedia.

1) Please elaborate...

Lets just say... He took marketing classes from anoxic Novak. :eek::rolleyes:

Mr. Waddington takes the spin that he has entirely "solved" the bio-filter water channeling problem and he provides all sorts of anecdotal videos and simple drawings to suggest this.

2) Incidentally, it's been a long time since I first started being interested in filters and understanding how they work. All these filters are basically large containers containing media that water flows past. There is another British brand which is modular and quite nice. The biggest cost, I believe comes from making purpose specific giant injection molds to manufacture them. Personally, I still think that aerated moving media is the best kind of biomedia.

Yeah, I think the mold creation is the reason why the ERIC is so expensive. For anyone interested, the USA distributor is GreatWave Engineering.

The "E.R.I.C." (Endless River In Concrete) has been around for a long time, much like Mr. Waddington. Not for sure who originated the idea since the concept has been around Europe for a while, even before Mr. Waddington, at least according to my European friends.

The "ERIC" system concept is essentially a full, "all in one", fluid compartmentalization, 100% gravity flow filtration system encased in concrete. The concrete adds beneficial thermodynamic energy savings to maintain the water temperature inside the bio-filter compartment. The first compartment has big brushes to stop the big particulate debris. Second compartment is a quite sizeable, long settlement chamber so to encourage excellent particulate sedimentation so much so that it actually acts like a particulate polishing device creating quite crystal clear water, in context of particulates. The bio-filter compartment can be anything ranging from a moving bed bio-film reactor to sponges to a rotating biological contactor device. These compartments are constructed to be operated with an arrangement of drains and standpipes for easy and quick maintenance.

It is by far the best "all in one" filter I have seen, and, with how Mr. Waddington incorporates aeration and sponge pads for the bio-filter, it is the best "water submerged static media" filter I have seen.

The "ERIC" is more of a system concept rather than a particular type of bio-filter. Mr. Waddington's influence is the reason why the ERIC has become redefined and trademarked as the "ERIC".

Last edited:
Reaction score
One day, I tried to log in and found out my account was deleted. I then tried to create an account and I was told my IP address was banned and now I can't even read their forum posts while acting as a GUEST. :confused:
Charles, you must be the bad boy of pond forums. Just how many pond forums are you banned from altogether?

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Charles, you must be the bad boy of pond forums. Just how many pond forums are you banned from altogether?

Randy, you know what... I have a particular emoticon just for you, but I am afraid I'll get banned again and I really like this forum. :cautious::shifty::p

Seriously though, first time it has ever happened... Much like how when Mom just turned around and slapped the hell out of me just once in the face cause I was being incredibly obnoxious. Taught me a lesson for sure!! But this time is different... Feels like Mr. Waddington has slapped me across the face, except he is like the Invisible Man and I couldn't see him do it nor see him period so I can't ask what lesson I am to learn.. Mr. Waddington, why? Why?!? :sorry::cry:

;)

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Charles, I seriously doubt Peter banned you personally. I send messages and chat with him from time to time on FB and he's really a nice guy. I think there is some legal issues and some unheard behind the scene issues with the forum and the owners rights that have the whole sight messed up. I haven't followed all that lately. But yea, he's stuck on his E.R.I.C. filtration unit. But I also know, If your going to write a book, build a filter for retail sale, endorse your product, You better stick behind your thoughts on the product and what you've written if you want them to pay you dividends.. Can't blame him. As for the forum, I never got into the debates and the back and forth deals with Peter and Jurgen. They both keep beautiful ponds and fish, both are VERY opinionated and both will tell you they are. We all know there are more than one design that can be used to successfully keep Koi.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I grew tired of it years ago after going on their to specifically talk to Peter Waddington but it was the acctual goings on with that site that put us off it..
I fogot they still had my name and that was what was sent to me so there has to have veen a large falling out in our eyes ???
I did however manage to secure the complete writings of the man himself at a knock down price to add to our Library

Dave

Ask a Question