Another new Pond in TX

Reaction score
Well since this is my first post i will give a little background. I have had mostly fresh water tanks my whole life from 10gal to 100gal mostly. Then i tried out salt water tanks and really got involved with them. Unfortunately i started to travel more with work and my wife just didn't understand the upkeep that slatwater tanks needed. So the other day the wife and I were having a beer and watching the Trains go round and decided we needed a pond. Well now we have a 150gal pond! At this writing i do not have any filtration or pumps yet. I am still determing on how to wire in a pump to my front yard? Yes i know, i did not think this through. I am thinking about going with the Tetra 325gph submersible filter w/bioballs. Although i really like the idea of solar power i just do not see the larger pumps for solar? Any other ideas.

Thanks
-keith

Attachments

• pond.jpg
    pond.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 326

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i think you'd be happier with a home made external filter. bury the filter to the level you'd like and stack some more flat stone around it and make a waterfall. the filtration will far surpass the submeresable filter and you'll have the added bonus of the waterfall. better filtration and good aeration, a winning combination all the way around.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Short of trying again to post another picture, I'll try to explain.

I ended up using a PVC shower drain high at one edge of my 365 gallon molded in ground pond like a skimmer drain. It flows via two inch PVC pipe including elbows to a twenty gallon Rubbermaid tub used as the filter reservor. I have a home made filter system in there (that works better than I thought it would), with a water pump from Lowe's (approx. 500 GPH), that pumps water thru the UV clearifier, and into the water spill returning to the pond.

For a home made Mickey Mouse filter system, it works great, and I didn't spend a bank roll getting this pond up and running.

As noted in a few of my other postings, I seem to have a good balance in this ecosystem. I don't use any chemicals, additives, or any other expensive things to make this work. Most of all, the fish and plants are healthy and seem to quite happy. I think the Shubunkin's enjoy watching me as much I enjoy caring for and, watching them.

Reaction score
Many thanks for the replys!
So it looks like the consensus is to have a waterfall, with the water flowing through a filter. I think i will have to see what i can do.
Thanks
guys

Reaction score
Well my friend had a smartpond pump 300gph that he had in his first pond before he upgraded to a larger pond. So i took the free pump for now. I am only going to put 4 goldfish in here and a few plants. Anyway here is an updated picture
-k

Attachments

• pond2.jpg
    pond2.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 282

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
It looks good ..and the train adds a little interest..Welcome to the forum

Ask a Question