Another plant eater in the yard

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hate them almost as much as deer. They killed hundreds of dollars of garden plants. One good thing about coyotes moving in is they love wood chuck for dinner.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hate them almost as much as deer. They killed hundreds of dollars of garden plants. One good thing about coyotes moving in is they love wood chuck for dinner.

We have learned which plants the deer "generally" tend to not eat and the others we put either fencing or netting around. The netting works good because you basically can't see it, so your plants still look nice as verses the fencing. I hate when they bite fresh buds off then spit them out. As far as vegetable gardens go, they have to be completely fenced in and even with that the moles and voles can rip them right under the ground just like in the cartoons. Some people just grow their tomatoes in pots on their decks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States

@Nyboy The cycle of life, they eat the plants and the coyote eats them. Not sure how anyone hates animals but I guess that is your opinion. I personally love having them in my yard. If they eat my plants oh well, I will get more. The animals do not know they are worth money, they just do their thing.

@poconojoe I appreciate you working with the animals (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I work to hard for my money, I am not talking a few hundred, I talking a few thousand in damages.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I work to hard for my money, I am not talking a few hundred, I talking a few thousand in damages.

Never said you did work hard for it, I never met you. I work very hard for my money too. Just animals are not always to blame like humans like to think. I am not trying to give you personally a hard time but animals do not have anyone to defend them. When people do certain things then get upset when something occurs with a animal. 99% of the time the animal does not have a choice, between land development, people spraying all sorts of chemicals, natural food sources destroyed, they just do what they do for survival. We do what we do for appearance. So I will leave it here, again not attacking you personally but you did comment on my post so I am just responding.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I only fence plants that are too young to handle the munching. Ow it is open feeding policy in my yard. I usually can't see what they have eaten. Except the one year we had a ton of snow and the deer ate the emerald greens almost down to the trunk.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
@Nyboy The cycle of life, they eat the plants and the coyote eats them. Not sure how anyone hates animals but I guess that is your opinion. I personally love having them in my yard. If they eat my plants oh well, I will get more. The animals do not know they are worth money, they just do their thing.

@poconojoe I appreciate you working with the animals (y)
We love our fat little “land beaver” he lives under our shed. Part of the beauty of a pond is the nature it brings to your yard. We don’t see any deer anymore but still see fox raccoon rabbits and every kind of bird you can think of. One night a cougar that scared my 85pound dog out of her skin. It still was great I got to see it because there is only a cougar sighting maybe every 5 years or so.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have deer they love our yard, bed down in the woods and yard. Feed the squirrels, feed the birds, just started seeing chipmunks. Some of the feral cats have disappeared. Owls, fox etc.
Baby rabbits everywhere.

They all enjoy the plants as much as I do. Except the deer are eating up some of the day lilies right now, munch them down as they grow.

The entry to the home for these is right under our deck heading under the garage they have tunnels. When the kids get big enough they start to play on our deck. We had a great time watching the last group grow up.

I only have a few plants I try to save from the hogs and deer, they are young and can get eaten up quickly. The rest is a open salad bar. Usually can't even tell what they have eaten up, have plenty of plants to be snacked on. Wish they inhaled poison ivy! It is so rampant here. I am still, 2 weeks later, waiting for it to heal. Bad attack this time.

Ask a Question