Another question on building my new pond

Reaction score
I am building a pond that will be 15ft wide and 20ft long and from reading other articles about drains I have decided to install 2 bottom drains. Here is my idea. I will run both drain lines to one end of the pond and go into a collection box. The top side of the lines will be entering the box about 12 in below the water line of the pond. The box is a 100gal Rubbermaid stock tank. There will be no skimmer installed at this time. The filter pump will take suction from the collection box. There will be a 1/4" mesh screen installed on this suction line. The pump will be an external type.
Now does anyone see anything wrong with this setup or any better suggestions?
Thanks
Bart
BTW I sure do appreciate all the help I have received from this forum
Thank goodness for the internet.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So the collection box will be sealed? to create the suction needed to draw water up from the drains. I think the pump would drain the collection box without the drain lines filling it, without it being sealed. I am trying to recall (8 yrs ago) when I set up my arizona pond, I was going to do that and there were problems associated with that type of set up. Will search my memory bank, maybe someone here can give you better guidance than me.

Reaction score
With this plan the collection box will not be sealed. I will if need be but isn't this system what they refer to as a gravity feed? The system I am trying to copy has the bottom drain lines down below the water line of the pond and gravity will push the water down and into the collection box.
Thanks for responding
Bart

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am really not sure, can you do a drawing?
I did a memory bank search..........lol and I was trying to do something similar in arizona. Now I did not have a real good gravity feed into my collection box (which is now filled and not in use) the pump did drain the box before the lines from could refill it.

I did read about doing it this way, i will see if I can find some information for you from my collection of stuff.

Reaction score
Well you beat me to it. I cant draw very good but I was just about to post a url of one of the sites where I read about this type of drain. It is the one from garden pond forum. But I will check out the other one.
Thanks
Bart

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wish I could help you more, i just remember my attempt was a failure, the water did not flow into the box fast enough from the pond, the pump kept sucking the collection box dry. I had 4 inch piping feeding the box. It was a 300 gallon box. Maybe i did something not right (never wrong lol)

But the way you are setting it up it may work, not trying to discourage you. Just sharing a failure on my part........lol:disappointed_anim: ;)

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Remember that the water will seek its level the top of the tank has to be at least = to the pond level ...That would be a deep stock tank

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
DrCase said:
Remember that the water will seek its level the top of the tank has to be at least = to the pond level ...That would be a deep stock tank

Ours was lower than the pond, it still got sucked dry when we turned the pump on.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
DrCase said:
Was your box sealed addy ?

Had a cover, sort of sealed but not suction sealed (air tight). My hubby at that time didn't let me play with it very long to see if I could get it to work. He had it filled in before I got home from work one day.

Reaction score
The web sites I have visited that show how to construct a system like this do not show or say anything about sealing the lid. What size drain lines were you using from the drain to the collection box. I am very confused as to why these sites show how to build one but ya'll tell me it doesn't work.
Thanks
Bart

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bart said:
The web sites I have visited that show how to construct a system like this do not show or say anything about sealing the lid. What size drain lines were you using from the drain to the collection box. I am very confused as to why these sites show how to build one but ya'll tell me it doesn't work.
Thanks
Bart

Well my hubby at that time did not want to let me mess with it, so I only got so far before he said quit and filled it in. Give it a try, I thought at the time, it would be a good thing to do.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
addy1 said:
Had a cover, sort of sealed but not suction sealed (air tight). My hubby at that time didn't let me play with it very long to see if I could get it to work. He had it filled in before I got home from work one day.
:lol:

I just wonder what happens when the pump is not running
If the box is below pond water level...what stops it from over flowing

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
DrCase said:
:lol:

I just wonder what happens when the pump is not running
If the box is below pond water level...what stops it from over flowing

Yep that is something to think on also, it has been over 8 years since my attempt, memory of all the issues is fuzzy lol. :lol:

Ask a Question