Another reason to hide your liner

Reaction score
As if just the sight of it isn't enough to drive me crazy, now my bad planning has caused ANOTHER problem! A stinking mouse or rat has gnawed a hole in the liner about 3 up from the water line. UGH!!! Had the liner been hidden, I wouldn't have this problem. Now I have to REPAIR the hole and try to hide the liner for sure before another critter gets any ideas.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Gold pond sealant is your best bet for the repair Priscilla as it also sets underwater :-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gold-Label-Aquarium-Sealer-290ml/dp/B0038LYLN0

I think your best bet to proof your pond would be to dig down about a foot around the ponds perimeter then put in chicken wire folded over like the page of a book, before back filling over the chicken wire which forms a metalic wall
The rat or whatever has caused he hole then cannot get to the ponds liner because of it :happy:
Dave

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used that on a couple of the holes until my new liner came and have to thank dr foster and smith for rushing my liner out even with the snow they were getting there .Got my liner in a week .Ordered it on monday and it was here friday morning early with free shipping.I was surprised considering how cold it was here and how cold the water was that it even set and held the patch .I know my hands could not take the cold water .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Gold pond sealant is your best bet for the repair Priscilla as it also sets underwater :-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gold-Label-Aquarium-Sealer-290ml/dp/B0038LYLN0

I think your best bet to proof your pond would be to dig down about a foot around the ponds perimeter then put in chicken wire folded over like the page of a book, before back filling over the chicken wire which forms a metalic wall
The rat or whatever has caused he hole then cannot get to the ponds liner because of it :happy:
Dave

You might want to read the customer reviews that are published with this listing before buying this product. Not too encouraging!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You might want to read the customer reviews that are published with this listing before buying this product. Not too encouraging!

Meyer I would never recomend a product if I hadn't used it first.
Secondly if it didnt do the job, which it does, our pond should now be leaking .
The bottom drain of our pond was first sealed by using gold, then the bottom drain was further secured with stainless steal screws .
Also our return pipe which is 2fy bellow the surface of the water level was also sealed with gold , then it was further secured with stainless stal screws.
Lastly the former return pipe now overflow/skimmer was also sealed with gold, then further secured with stainless steal screws were added.
These seals hold back 1,000 gallons imperial of water with no leaks in over 6 years now so I would say it works wouldnt you ?
When I ran the Koi Keeper Unleashed website before Carl its owner fell foul of the world wide resession I answered a number of threads about this product and nines out of ten it was proven the poster had not properly followed instructions when applying the product .
Going through all the reviews there are those who didnt have a problem and those that did , I'd say that the number of bad reviews were down to those who didnt uses it properly.
If you look to the right of the page there are older reviews and the number of 5 star reviews far out weighed the bad ones .

Dave

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Using this product as you described as basically gasket material in a permanently secured fitting would work, as would most any other silicone based sealant. However, in applications where no permanent pressure is applied through use of a cover or face plate, the product may fail. It IS a sealant not an adhesive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Using this product as you described as basically gasket material in a permanently secured fitting would work, as would most any other silicone based sealant. However, in applications where no permanent pressure is applied through use of a cover or face plate, the product may fail. It IS a sealant not an adhesive.

I doubt it very much Meyer not with the stainless steel screws holding everything in place , I trust this product so much that when we alter the U/V-C's position on our 550 gallon QT tank , its the stuff we will use to seal around the screws holding it in its new posiition on the side of the filter .
I've evn used it to make show tanks back in our F.B.A.S.showing days , those tanks all 3 x 2 x 2 are now in peoples houses and are still going strong to this day and the last time we did an F.B.A.S. show was down in Cambourne in Cornwall way back in 1999 again if used properly they do hold together very well indeed

Dave

Dave

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I doubt it very much Meyer not with the stainless steel screws holding everything in place , I trust this product so much that when we alter the U/V-C's position on our 550 gallon QT tank , its the stuff we will use to seal around the screws holding it in its new posiition on the side of the filter .
I've evn used it to make show tanks back in our F.B.A.S.showing days , those tanks all 3 x 2 x 2 are now in peoples houses and are still going strong to this day and the last time we did an F.B.A.S. show was down in Cambourne in Cornwall way back in 1999 again if used properly they do hold together very well indeed

Dave

Dave
Dave, If you re-read my post you will see that is exactly what I said. The screws form the permanent attachment and the product serves as a sealant which is exactly what it is. It would not effectively take the place of the screws in forming any permanent attachment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
The liner being hiden doesn't stop the little critters from chewing. The chewed holes inder the blue stone on one of my small falls. It took a while to find that leak.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
As if just the sight of it isn't enough to drive me crazy, now my bad planning has caused ANOTHER problem! A stinking mouse or rat has gnawed a hole in the liner about 3 up from the water line. UGH!!! Had the liner been hidden, I wouldn't have this problem. Now I have to REPAIR the hole and try to hide the liner for sure before another critter gets any ideas.
I planted moss on the exposed part of my liner. Seems to have done the trick at protecting it and actually looks pretty cool too

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Meyer I would never recomend a product if I hadn't used it first.
Secondly if it didnt do the job, which it does, our pond should now be leaking .
The bottom drain of our pond was first sealed by using gold, then the bottom drain was further secured with stainless steal screws .
Also our return pipe which is 2fy bellow the surface of the water level was also sealed with gold , then it was further secured with stainless stal screws.
Lastly the former return pipe now overflow/skimmer was also sealed with gold, then further secured with stainless steal screws were added.
These seals hold back 1,000 gallons imperial of water with no leaks in over 6 years now so I would say it works wouldnt you ?
When I ran the Koi Keeper Unleashed website before Carl its owner fell foul of the world wide resession I answered a number of threads about this product and nines out of ten it was proven the poster had not properly followed instructions when applying the product .
Going through all the reviews there are those who didnt have a problem and those that did , I'd say that the number of bad reviews were down to those who didnt uses it properly.
If you look to the right of the page there are older reviews and the number of 5 star reviews far out weighed the bad ones .

Dave
Thank goodness I am not the only one who thinks the reviews can be misleading. I always keep in mind that if some idiot buys a product and does not follow directions or uses it for some off label use and it fails then then they will naturally blame the product and go a bad review rampage. That is just my opinion clearly but I think it has some weight when you look at human (and barely functioning human) behavior.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
I planted moss on the exposed part of my liner. Seems to have done the trick at protecting it and actually looks pretty cool too

Marshall, how did you get the moss to grow directly on the liner? Last year i placed burlap draped down over the exposed liner into the pond. I made a mix of buttermilk and moss that I scraped off a shady patio. I then painted the solution on the burlap and it looked pretty good but the burlap rotted away by the start of this season. If I can get the moss to grow directly on the liner somehow that would be great..

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Marshall, how did you get the moss to grow directly on the liner? Last year i placed burlap draped down over the exposed liner into the pond. I made a mix of buttermilk and moss that I scraped off a shady patio. I then painted the solution on the burlap and it looked pretty good but the burlap rotted away by the start of this season. If I can get the moss to grow directly on the liner somehow that would be great..
It is not growing directly on the bare liner. I'm not sure if that would even be possible but wjat I did was use a texturing coat to make the liner accept moss.There is a product made by quikrete for patching concrete that is acrylic based and used that to make a texture on the flat part of the liner as it goes over the edge and then you just have to plant the moss from the nursery onto the textured surface and it will grow almost to the waters edge and also grows good on the rocks especially of my smaller pond, The large turtle pond has not been planted yet because I have never textured the liner or did much of anything to that one.

Ask a Question