Another reminder of what we shouldn't do and why.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting information about gold fish :)
Yes but nothing new though @Tula weve had the Carp invasion in Australia way before these goldfish were released, then there is the Question of the feral koi in New Zealand .
It is commom knowledge that their wild cousins are some of the most invasive and destructive fish in the world when it comes to killing off the local fish who evolved in clear not muddy lakes and ponds and thus because of this they simply cannot compete with them
But in the end it is down to us to be extra careful that we dont release into the enviroment any our pets

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
What Australia needs is a shipment or real red and blue American otters... Heh.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Australia has learned its lesson on importing animals. First it was rabbits, then cane toads, along with camels, cats, fox, fire ants and, of course, my favorite...the mosquito fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Like all carp, they are a very bony fish.
Add to that they have an earthy taste or so I have been told
What Australia needs is a shipment or real red and blue American otters... Heh.
Yes @Faebinder but take a look at those at the Australian mistakes Cane toads,, Mice, Foxs, Cats, Carp, even wild camels, " the list goes on" .
On a differen note Snakeheads have now reached Australia's shores but of their own accord this time around .

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
look at the lion fish in NY in the waters there .They used to be in fish tanks until people found out how aggressive they are .They they released them into the waters off NY and now they are catching them because they found they were great to eat .So now they have this team of divers going out to catch them .I guess you never know until you try catching them to see what they are like .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
look at the lion fish in NY in the waters there .They used to be in fish tanks until people found out how aggressive they are .They they released them into the waters off NY and now they are catching them because they found they were great to eat .So now they have this team of divers going out to catch them .I guess you never know until you try catching them to see what they are like .

The prevailing theory is that the lion fish were released from a breeder in the south (FL?) by Hurricane Andrew in the 90s. They have since moved basically throughout the Caribbean and up the eastern seaboard. The shipwrecks off of NC is the place I've seen the most of them, but I've seen them everywhere. They are voracious eaters of small fish with no natural predators. There are some reports that grouper and sharks have figured out that they can be eaten. And divers catch some, but divers cover only a small percentage of the habitat available to them. They are a tasty, mild fish.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Blue Herons!!
I've seen feral goldfish in a local lake/pond, they were 12" if anything.

Ask a Question