another sad fish story

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
well i cleaned my prefilter on the basement pond today and left the pump running ...got side tracked and left it for a few hours. went down to reattach it to the hose and no water coming out of the filter....you know what happened. a 5" got sucked in, and sucked in backwards...his back 1/3 was gone. guts hanging out...nasty put him out of his misery the quickest way i could think of...a razor blade...decapitation. took little more than 1 second... i would imagine that was a particularly nasty way to spend his last bit of time alive...slowly being drawn in to the impellor...hes off to the big pond in the sky.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Must have been horrible for him and you having to find him like that and then destroy him.................so sad!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Sorry to here about the little guy, BUT glad to hear it wasn't one of the big guys.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Sorry about your Koi. :sad: It amazes me how attached I've already become to my Koi.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
thanx everyone for the concerns....i'm just proned to sidetracking...happens all the time. i walk into a room with a specific purpose in mind. do 20 other things and never do the originalyl intended!...is this just age?...nope! ive been this way my whole life. infact i may have to change my username to "Sidetract"..lol
fishin....i'd be in real trouble if my big guys could fit in 1&1/4" hose.... they'd be 20" long tubes with fins......lol.
i do hate to lose a fish, but hate to know he suffered more...and at my fault.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
It couldn't be age... you haven't even hit 50 yet!!! Wait 'til you get my age. I'm a firm believer in the hereafter.... I walk into a room, look around, and think "Now what was I here after??" :question: :question:
John

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
actually john...i'll be 50 this July... and forgetting why i walked into a room does occasionally happen. but mostly i see other things that catch my attention and get sidetracked!.....

Reaction score
Bummer.
It's a risky business this ponding, fraught with peril and mishap at every turn. Mistakes are made, and unfortunately it's often the innocent who have to pay with their lives.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
actually john...i'll be 50 this July... and forgetting why i walked into a room does occasionally happen. but mostly i see other things that catch my attention and get sidetracked!.....
I'm sorry, What were we talking about??? :bye2:
Whatsisname

Reaction score
Same thing happens to me! Some times I confuse myself......My friend gave me a Asagi about 4 inches long from her prized Koi and of course that was the one that got sucked to pump when the cover was dislodged, not any of the other 30 koi in my pond. Of all the fish in the pond that probably would have been the most valuable from a bloodline standpoint. MURPHYS LAW

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I had a great reply, but I forgot what it was.......................

Ask a Question