Another "turtle habitat project," and I could use advice....again!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Big Lou @SE18

How can I make a covered pathway inside the habitat -- for the turtles -- so think miniature......something that is about 6" tall and maybe 10" wide, and as long as it needs it to be?

This is NOT intended to protect them from predators [Mississippi Kites, and whatever else.....].....

......The turtles have become [what I'm calling] predator-wary lately, and I'm searching for ways to help them be more at ease -- so they'll feel comfortable walking around, getting to their food & water and changing their micro-climate environments as needed [especially in this heat].

I seem to come up with the most complicated ideas & plans, when I know there are simpler solutions out there -- in other peoples' brains.....

I've included some crude drawings to give an idea of my thought processes.

So, to start off, the first pic is of one of the turtles [obviously] -- his name is X-tra. He's the small brown "rock" with orange on top. The habitat is heavily planted and there are "hides" for them all over, but some spots are still out in the open, like in this pic. In fact, this is the area I am wanting help for. The white, partially buried pipe is 4" drainage PVC and is the "return" for the turtle-bog.
image.jpg

I've already addressed coverage for 2 areas in this next drawing, but that won't be practical for what I'm wanting to do here. The spot on my drawing where the orange arrow is pointing is roughly where X-tra is in the above pic.
image.jpg

My "plans" show a PVC frame, and show a continuous pathway. First of all, do you know how tedious it will be cutting and piecing all that PVC...... And second, the cover doesn't have to be continuous [a thought that just occured to me]. It could be a series of "somethings" that give the illusion [for the turtles] of cover and safety.
image.jpg

• Ideally, it needs to be something that won't easily move as the turtles move around and bump into it [they are strong and clumsy]
  • Has to be turtle-safe, meaning it can't be rocks or bricks piled up -- or anything that could fall & injure, or trap one of my babies
  • Please, as uncomplicated and practical to make as possible
  • It would be nice if it blended in and looked organic
  • It doesn't have to be permanent [but note the 1st & 2nd points about stability and safety], so it's OK if I have to re-do or rehab it over time -- or even move it
  • It can't be totally enclosed -- I need to be able to see & check on the turts
  • I walk around in the habitat a lot, so I have to be able to step over it easily [without breaking my neck]
  • Dimension-wise: height roughly 6", width roughly 8"-10", length not an issue
  • Oh, and the ground is contoured [not flat], and slopes away from the white pipe, so keep that in mind

Ideas? Thoughts?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Use the gray electrical conduit, has nice curved pieces, cover with shade cloth. They have tan, grey etc

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
Re-using wooden pallets pretty trendy right now, and free. You could make a miniature boardwalk out of some free pallets,
and it would look more natural than pvc and lattice IMO.

fe1304a0b5adafd6ae8dc5fc8febbd9b.jpg b043fc925f85ef322292fa0c4a0381e3.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You could use a 4" drainpipe Maggie that would do the job they do them in grey .

Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This may seem like a silly question, but what makes you think that the turtles will actually use this covered path?
I knew someone was going to ask that, LOL! And I asked myself the same question..... Over the years, I've observed their behavior so I have an idea of how they travel to get around in their world. The main thing I've noticed is that they would much prefer a nice, closed in area to being out in the open. They will travel among rows of plants, stick close to a fence or other solid object, or burrow under wood/brush -- since I can't read their minds, my assumption is that "closeness" equates to "security" for them.

But I think if I make it as inviting as possible, they will use it. I hope. It's all guess work.

I don't have a pic, but I recently re-did the tubing that carries water to the turtle-bog. I enclosed the 1-1/2" tubing inside big sections of that black irrigation tubing [3" or 4"??). There was one section that would run right through an area that takes them to their feeding area, and would completely cut off access. What to do? I dug a little space under the tubing and reinforced it. There's also a dirt ramp. One or 2 take the ramp and the others use the underpass.
You could use a 4" drainpipe Maggie that would do the job they do them in grey .

Dave

Too small. Would need something in the 8"-10" range.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Yes and.......you have a variety of choices. According to the height & with tunnel size desired you can purchase curved PVC electrical conduit. The ultimate in custom size is to purchase metal conduit and have it bent into the exact size loops. Push the ends of the frame pieces into the soil then cover the frame with shade or other mesh fabric over the frame. Attach with zip ties or glued on with some type of liquid nails, etc. This type of enclosure can be built in multiple ways with multiple materials.

Here's a look at the shape referred to. Ignore the text.

image.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@addy1 and @Big Lou I haven't had my coffee yet -- still not seeing this [electrical conduit] idea..... I must not be envisioning the same thing you guys are. I did a brief Google search and the largest piece I found was 6" diameter. I really hate to ask this, but....can you draw a picture for me [I really am a visual-person]? Lou, was your diagram meant to show the pipe cut along its length?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
@addy1 and @Big Lou I haven't had my coffee yet -- still not seeing this [electrical conduit] idea..... I must not be envisioning the same thing you guys are. I did a brief Google search and the largest piece I found was 6" diameter. I really hate to ask this, but....can you draw a picture for me [I really am a visual-person]? Lou, was your diagram meant to show the pipe cut along its length?
I think they mean something like this:
winter_pond_cover3.jpg

Use the Conduit as a frame, and then just zip-tie shade fabric to it. You can also put t's at the top and make a backbone running the length like this for added stability:
Fallpond001.jpg

Obviously, yours would be smaller as it's just for a shaded pathway vs an entire pond covering.

Of course, i'm not Addy or Big Lou, so please correct me if i'm wrong =D

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Re-using wooden pallets pretty trendy right now, and free. You could make a miniature boardwalk out of some free pallets,
and it would look more natural than pvc and lattice IMO.

View attachment 82715 View attachment 82716

Thanks, and not a bad idea. I used pallets a few years back to construct a compost bin. If I did something like this, I'd have to reduce the size of the pallets to "turtle-size" as they would take up too much room. An this did remind me of something. I don't know why, but we saved 2 pieces from our son's old wooden fort/swing set. One is a section of floor that I added hinges to and used to cover a dug-out area for the turtles. Had to modify it slightly, and placed bricks under it for clearance for the turtles to crawl underneath [it's not is use any more due to changes in the habitat -- well it is in use, holding up this tree!]. The hinges were so I could easily raise it up to look for the turts. The other section is the ladder. So, now wondering if and how these could be used.......

image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
@michey1st Oh, I am so embarrassed! Thank you!

EDIT: And for something on this scale, even the PEX tubing would probably work -- I'll have to experiment!

I'm happy to help! Anything I can do to further the turtle cause ;-)

Personally, I really like the pallet "boardwalk" idea. With all the lush plantings around it, you can fashion it into a miniature hiking "forest". Turtles path back and forth underneath, and maybe you can do some fun statues (like this one) walking around up above! There could even be a pier going over the pond with a fishing gnome!

iipsrv.fcgi

Ok... i'm done now. ;-)

Ask a Question