Another waterfall mystery

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Jinkies, gang! It's a mystery! (Or maybe not.)
As you may know, the first-ever, brand new pond is going and going pretty good.

I was looking at the waterfall rocks today and noticed some water on rocks that aren't normally wet. It's as if some of the waterfall foam is either failing -- or maybe just the force of the water has enlarged some voids where water is getting through.

Is this typical with a new pond settling in? I feel like I've foamed the crud out of this pond as it is. Maybe tomorrow I need to turn off the waterfall and get back in there with some more foam.

I've noticed a TON of big black ants in the vicinity. A part of me is scared that they've been working down below and have caused some things to shift. It's amazing what they can do with their excavations. Let's hope it's not that.

Reaction score
I don't think I ever built a waterfalls that didn't leak and need adjusting. IMO foam has absolutely nothing to do with stopping water from going some place, it's for directing a majority of water to the front where it can be seen. Gooping up stuff is a DIY fav, but can often make things worst. I generally don't use foam. To fix I normally reconfigure rock above the suspected area to direct water away from getting there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I went out and took a good look last night. I am crossing my fingers that it will be an easy fix. I went back and read some other posts. I think it was Addy who said she just made it so any leaking water will run back into the pond. I guess that should be a no brainer -- but somehow it wasn't. I can do this without too much trouble. I have a LOT of excess liner up by the waterfall and I buried the edge. With the way the water is trying to find its way back and out -- that isn't good. I think all I need to do is unbury the edge and tip it up. I can disguise that by pushing another rock behind it. That way, the minor "leakage" will have to just run back down and in.
Since I had forewarning that a waterfall leak was on the way, I turned off the pump before bed. At least I won't wake up to a partially emptied pond this morning!!!!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is what I did.
all I need to do is unbury the edge and tip it up

It is easy to hide the edge, no more water leaking out. Rocks or dirt behind the liner, some rocks on the liner fixed!

I used the pl roofing goop to seal some spots where I did not want water to flow. The foam works to direct flow, but it is not a water proof sealant.

Ask a Question