Another "what pump" question.

Reaction score
So my coworker has "employed" me to help him with a possible pond/waterfall build. I have some experience with small ponds and I build my own drum/canister filters, but his situation is a little bigger than my experience.
He has a hill next to a creek that he wants to put in a water fall combo pond on it, he estimates hill is about 25" or so high. His idea is to put a pond less pit at the bottom of the hill, pump water to the top where he will have a nice drop water fall, run that down about 10-12' where he wants to put a decent size pond ( 1000-1500 gal with some goldfish maybe 1 or 2 Koi) kind of in the middle of waterfalls then have another waterfall out of that which will then feed the pit at the bottom.
So he has put it to me about pumps. He wants a lot of water flowing and was thinking of a pump at the bottom to go all the way to the top. I suggested to him of actually using two pumps, 1 to pump from bottom to the middle pond, then another to pump from middle pond to the upper water fall, but here is the over my head part.... I have no idea what type or size pumps he would need for that much vertical head rise. I told him I didn't think a single pump would be up to that 25" rise in the volume he is looking for.
So, any opinions?

Another kink in the idea he suggested, his current creek is mainly a drain creek but has water trickling through it on a pretty constant basis. he suggested putting his bottom pit in the bottom of the creek and allowing waterfalls/ponds drained into it. He was thinking the constant fresh water flow would keep the ponds from evaporating and replenishing the volume. I was leery thinking this throws an outside factor and pond system is now not a closed system possibly causing issues by introducing uncontrollable factors. Not sure if that would be a good thing or bad.

We have not even talked filtration, probably try to incorporate something in his lower pit, it will probably be 100 to 200 gal stock tank.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If he wants energy saving pump go with laguna plus they come with a 3 or 4 year warranty .Best thing is the may say like mine they use 100 watts for the 2900 gph but in fact it uses 75 watts when pond is clean and pump is clean and hoses are bigger it uses less .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
With all due respect to Laguna, they do not manufacture a pump large enough to handle this project as described.

I assume that you meant to state that the hill is 25' high not 25".
Without knowing all of the details (specs) of this project, a minimum pump size (flow rate) of 10,000 gph comes to mind.

Reaction score
With all due respect to Laguna, they do not manufacture a pump large enough to handle this project as described.

I assume that you meant to state that the hill is 25' high not 25".
Without knowing all of the details (specs) of this project, a minimum pump size (flow rate) of 10,000 gph comes to mind.

Yes, sorry, 25 Feet from top of hill to the bottom.
I do not have many more details as he is in the initial planning stage. We have a plant shutdown late June so he is planning on working that whole week on the build. He just said he wants a large water fall into a pond ( he said a 10'x20' liner?) about middle way down hill into rock creek that flows into a hidden pit and back up.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Post more specific details when available. Need to know: Total height of this feature, maximum stream/cascade/waterfall width, dimensions of pond (length, width, depth), available space at base of feature for construction of reservoir. Does he have a budget? This could get a little pricey.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well glad I don't pay that electric bill when it comes in the first time .:)The one on you tube that had 6 waterfalls and not big high ones either said his average electric bill is around 3thousand dollars a month

Reaction score
Discussed the pond with my coworker and the possible high electric bill. He told me he is shelving this for the moment until he can decide exactly what he wants. When he does it will then be a rush for him to accomplish it, he does everything like that LOL.

Reaction score
When he decides to move forward I would suggest the Vancs pump. I use the 1/2 hp model.
http://www.amazon.com/Tsurumi-4PN-Pump-discharge-replacement/dp/B008TTBPW6

I have what sounds like the exact same situation. I pump my water up about 25 feet and let it run down a 45 foot long stream into a medium size pond. There is so much pressure and volume that I have to choke the pump down somewhat. I have a video of the pond and filter set up that I use on Youtube.

Ask a Question