Another winter cover thread

Reaction score
Hello all. Just posting some pics of how I am planning to covering up my pond this year. I am in Milwaukee, WI. Here is a thread about my cover I put up last year.
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/my-winter-cover-t4752.html

I expanded the pond this year, and due to some large sections of lannon stone which I found underground, I can no longer use stakes in the ground to achor PVC hoops. So i built this contraption out of 1x2 untreated lumber and 6 mil plastic. Using wood was nice because I could add a nice door to peek inside. I still have to wrap the side with plastic and anchor it down with some rocks.

Just thought I would share

Attachments

• IMG_0279.jpg
    IMG_0279.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_0280.jpg
    IMG_0280.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_0296.JPG
    IMG_0296.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_0297.JPG
    IMG_0297.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 370
Reaction score
Yes, zone 7 is pretty mild.

Its not even december and I had about 3/4 inch of ice on my pond this morning

I do agree however that building and installing a cover can be a big pain in the butt. I have decided to forgo my cover this year. I purchased a Floating / sinking de icer by API, http://www.amazon.com/API-PDT15-1500-Aluminum-Deicer/dp/B000TZ3R3I ,and decided to see how it works. So far it is encouraging. I put it in the pond this morning and it melted nearly all the ice in my pond in about 12 hours. It is a 1500 watt unit, but it runs off a thermostat. I will see how it goes and have multiple back up plans if I need to employ them.

Reaction score
oh, and here's more pics of the car

1966 Chevy Impala SS

Attachments

• current (24).jpg
    current (24).jpg
    65 KB · Views: 344
  • current (25).jpg
    current (25).jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 371
  • current (26).jpg
    current (26).jpg
    60 KB · Views: 348
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hey jrladd, you may want to go with an air pump going into an airstone about 6-10 inches below the surface. Last year I used one of those de-icers for the first few months of winter. Our electric bill went up $200/mo. Switching to the airstone it came right back down. I only had to plug my de-icer in twice after that for a few hours each when the bubbler couldn't keep a hole in the ice due to extreme cold weather. The airstone worked just fine 99% of the time. All the fish were happy in the Spring and so were we!

Reaction score
Thanks cometkeith for the input. Its nice to see success stories from someone in the same area. I do have an air pump so I will most likely switch to using that and keep the de icer unplugged unless I need it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I saw my fish swimming around today under the ice. They actually prefer to be under the ice rather than where the hole is. Also they recommend that you leave a little gap between the ice and the water (about 1-2") so the bad gases can rise from the water and go under the ice and come up out of the hole. You can do this by draining a little water out from the hole once the ice forms or with my pond natural evaporation does the trick. Good luck!

Reaction score
CometKeith said:
I saw my fish swimming around today under the ice. They actually prefer to be under the ice rather than where the hole is. Also they recommend that you leave a little gap between the ice and the water (about 1-2") so the bad gases can rise from the water and go under the ice and come up out of the hole. You can do this by draining a little water out from the hole once the ice forms or with my pond natural evaporation does the trick. Good luck!

Thanks Keith, That's interesting, I'll do that if I ever have an ice covering.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Mine also seem to like it under the ice. Maybe it insulates that area better or they feel safe from hungry winter predators. I have never heard that about keeping the space between ice and water...........seems plausible tho :confused:

rdk

Reaction score
Last year my fish loved staying under the ice even if there was only 3 or 4 inches of water under the ice. RDK

Ask a Question