Any advice on how to put string above my pond to fight kingfisher.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I've tried the net and failed due to large area 9 (50 by 100 ft )and several bats caught in it at one night. I want to put fish line over the pond. Does anyone have idea of how should I space it? Thank you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm not terribly familiar with the kingfisher, but I do know that some people use fish line to deter herons. Most will tell you that it's only moderately successful. A determined hunter will find a way in or around the fish line. Most resort to a net over the pond - but you may have the same issue with that due to the size of your pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've tried the net and failed due to large area 9 (50 by 100 ft )and several bats caught in it at one night. I want to put fish line over the pond. Does anyone have idea of how should I space it? Thank you.

I know many people with swimming pools that put a large "X" in fishing line or string on 8-10 foot poles above their pools to keep ducks and geese out. They claimed it worked very well. Don't know if it would work for kingfishers but probably worth a try. Personally I had good luck setting fishing lines around my pond at about 6" high to keep heron out. Never lost a fish after I set those up. YMMV...

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Fishing line would be tough to use to stop a kingfisher, I think. As they sit high up and dive into the pond to get fish.

@addy1 uses a wide weave net over her pond (gill net for fishing). May keep the kingfisher out but let the bats through.

Ask a Question