Any Clue What These Are?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
i was doing my weekend pond maintenance... vacuuming bottom, partial water change, etc. I try to fetch out as many trapdoor snails as I can find before I vacuum, to avoid sucking them up. When I put them in the bucket, I put them into a few inches of plain, clear pond water. When I went to get them out, the bucket was full of these tiny... things. I read that trapdoor snails live-bear maybe 6-20 babies at a time. This was a LOT of little specs. I scooped some into a measuring cup. Very easy to see with naked eye, but couldn't identify what they are. So under the microscope they went, and I still have no clue. Any guesses???

In bucket...
image.jpg

In measuring cup...
image.jpg

At 4/0.08 magnification...
image.jpg

At 10/0.25 magnification...
image.jpg

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I guess that snails can get stressed much the same as any other animal. No expert on snails. Curious......What would an expert of snails be called?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I think they remind us of the baby snails we sometimes get in our filters C-Note well that our guess anyway.
In answer to your question Meyer a snail expert is called a malacologist

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Carrie the ones in the bucket are definately baby snails.
However carefully going through my Observer's book of Pond Life ISBN 185471063x By John Clegg [I'm totally amazed because I never thought I'd use this book apart from ID'ing things around our own pond ] :LOL:
The nearest thing that even resembles them are ciliophora namely number 105 of page 57 Colpidium .
Try x350 magnification to see if there are any hairs for propulsion as they are ciliates that posses hair like structures known as cilia which by their rythmic beating to either propel themselves through the water ior to attract food to them.
Of course I may be miles out because your in the US so we may have differing pond life but you cant say I didnt try Carrie ;)

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at them under the microscope they seem to have an inner structure and seem to be expelling waste or spores of some sort ....

Dave

Ask a Question