Any experience with billboard tarps as liners?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am building a prototype greywater-filtration-to-pond system that will incorporate a 5 x 15' filtration bed (filled with filtration media (small round stones, sand) full of filtering plants) that then releases into a roughly 10' x 20' pond, 3' at deepest. Will be determining how well the filtration works, etc.

My question is, I'm trying to be as frugal as possible on the construction (trying to keep the build-cost/water-savings equation in check) and am wondering if I might get away with a cheaper alternative to a 45mil Firestone-type liner, especially for the filtration bed.

Besides a 14.5 mil PVC liner (about 40% the cost of 45mil), I poked around the interwebs and found a place that sells billboard tarp plastic, new and used, http://billboardtarps.com/product/10...il-0-27-sq-ft/

Any experience and or advice on whether this might be okay? Or am I being penny wise and pound foolish?
Thanks!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group. Skip pvc it does not last long, bill board tarp, never tried one.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I put in a billboard tarp 2 years ago when I built my pond.
I am now looking at replacing it either this fall or next year sometime as it is bubbling in areas. Now I used a super thin billboard tarp so I can't speak to the longevity of the thicker ones and I also know that I am in the South where we fry eggs on the sidewalk however, with all of that being said DON'T DO IT.
My theory was that if I love ponding I'd replace it a few years down the road and if I hated having a pond I wasn't out any money. I didn't take into consideration all of the landscaping and plants and fish that are now tied to the pond. In order for me to replace my liner I have to pull everything whereas if I'd used a standard liner, I would have many many many more years before the agony of rock moving and fish catching were upon me.
Anyway for what's it's worth, that's my story and my 2 cents. :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
tbendi: Thanks for the info and experience. Based on your experience and the input I got on another forum, it seems saving $120-150 isn't really a savings at all, so I will go with the 45 mil stuff. Good luck catching those fish...

Ask a Question