Any help greatly appreciated

Discussion in 'Newbies to Garden Ponds' started by Joeboyc, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Joeboyc

Joeboyc

Hi everyone,

I’ve inherited a pond when we moved house (I have attached pictures of as much as possible) I have estimated the pond to be around 5000 litres including the reed bank.

The pond was active until November when he took the pump with him, at this time I was told that due to it being winter to leave the pond and not to do anything.

What was left was two filter boxes biotec 10 and a bitron 25 plus a bitron 30?

I have purchased a pump capable of 5000 litres of a hour which I believe matches the biotec 10 And new filter media and UVC bulb.

I’m thinking of running just the biotec 10 and bitron 25 for the time being as I’m not planning on stocking for a little while just getting used to pond ownership.

On Tuesday I am putting in a new junction box and wiring up the pump, UVC and filter.

Is there anything I’m missing or not doing that I need to be aware of any advice is greatfully received

Thanks in advance

Joe (pond beginner)
    [​IMG]

Joeboyc, Feb 12, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. Joeboyc

Magzire

Fish :)
    Sounds like your all set to be honest, enjoy.
    Also you can probably jump start the filter cycle why using some pond waste

Magzire, Feb 12, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. Joeboyc

Joeboyc

Hi magazine,

Could you explain what you mean when you say jump start

Joeboyc, Feb 12, 2018
  4. Joeboyc

Magzire

Filters don't just clear water, it's also does the nitrogen cycle, ammonia to nitrates. which makes it safe for fish. Which i assume a you know already. Since the pond was cycle before, the pond bottom will be living with beneficial bacteria.

Anyways the pump will do it

Magzire, Feb 12, 2018
  5. Joeboyc

Joeboyc

So once it’s pumping this will do it automatically?

Joeboyc, Feb 12, 2018
  6. Joeboyc

Magzire

Yep you'll fine. What fish you plan to get?

Magzire, Feb 12, 2018
  7. Joeboyc

Joeboyc

I’d like to get koi, how long would I wait after pump and filters running to stock?

How many koi would you keep In a pond this size?

Joeboyc, Feb 12, 2018
  8. Joeboyc

sissy sissy

Welcome and sorry your pond is to small for koi .I figure your pond at around 1300 gallons or so and koi can get to be over 2 feet long

sissy, Feb 12, 2018
  9. Joeboyc

Joeboyc

Hi Sissy,

Prior to me buying the house the previous owner had around 7 koi in the pond

The pond is 15 feet long by 10 foot wide and 5 foot deep it also has a reed bank in a separate area the water flows through, did he overstock?

Joeboyc, Feb 12, 2018
  10. Joeboyc

sissy sissy

How big was his koi .My koi I got back in 2004 and they are now way over 2 feet long and my pond is 5000 U.S.gallons with 2 filters

sissy, Feb 12, 2018
  11. Joeboyc

Joeboyc

I’m not sure maybe a foot each? Would you advise me not to keep koi?

Attached Files:

Joeboyc, Feb 12, 2018
    qclabrat and Tula like this.
  12. Joeboyc

sissy sissy

maybe 1 or 2 and remember they have babies .Last year I gave 20 babies away and removed lots of eggs .Then winter came and I found another 15 babies .Goldfish are worse ,they have more babies and breed more than koi

sissy, Feb 12, 2018
  13. Joeboyc

EricV

Something doesn't add up here. 15'x10'x5' is not 5000 L, more like 5000 gallons. If it was a box, it'd be 5600 gallons. With curves you are probably looking at more like 3000-4000.

EricV, Feb 12, 2018
    CountryEscape likes this.
  14. Joeboyc

Magzire

That looks plenty big for Koi :)

Magzire, Feb 12, 2018
  15. Joeboyc

sissy sissy

It sure looks big enough I think he had the liters wrong or I got it wrong .But remember no matter what you have to think about babies and overcrowding the pond in the future .Every year I have to plan around getting rid of eggs or getting rid of fish .The eggs that get lost in the pond can bring you lots of babies that are sometimes hard to get rid of .

sissy, Feb 12, 2018
  16. Joeboyc

Tula

My pond is 1700 gallons and I keep 4 koi. I also lower the water and catch and rehome any surviving fry at the end of each summer.

I think your pond looks fine for koi, but I'd start with 3 :) If you don't want babies, you can try to get all the same sex.

Tula, Feb 12, 2018
    CountryEscape likes this.
  17. Joeboyc

mrsclem mrsclem

Yes, I have a 10x10x5 pond and presently have 7 adult koi in it. I do have 2 150 gallon stock tanks as filters as well as 11 window boxes set up as a bog. so it is possible.

mrsclem, Feb 12, 2018
  18. Joeboyc

sissy sissy

But young ones are really hard to tell what sex they are .I know people ask me that take my babies ,what sex are they .I try but the bodies look mostly a like when they are young.But when they get over 2 feet long they can become crowded and that can stress them also .

sissy, Feb 12, 2018
  19. Joeboyc

brokensword Not all those who wander are lost

if you don't feed the fish, both during spawning and soon thereafter, I doubt you'll have too many babies. Haven't had any survive in 3 years, not since my fish matured. JMHO

brokensword, Feb 12, 2018
  20. Joeboyc

CountryEscape

Hi, Joe, and welcome! I totally agree with @brokensword! I have far too many koi in my pond, which is about the same dimensions as yours, but only 4' deep. I have not had any babies survive the last 3 years either, they eat all the eggs and fry. And, from the year before that (2nd year with the koi), only 4 babies survived, and they are now as big as the other adults.
    If you have too many koi (like me, but I'm planning to rehome some to a friend's BIG pond this spring), they will eventually stop growing, which to me is perfectly fine! I know, I know, I'm "stunting their growth" because they don't have enough room to grow bigger, but I LIKE them staying smaller. My koi are probably as big as 22-24" and down to 14-16", and are not continuing to grow anymore.
    Yes, your pond is definitely large enough for koi! Once the original ones mature (depending on how big they are when you first put them in), they will spawn, and the first year you will likely have babies. After that, they figure out those eggs are a delicacy, and you won't have as many each year thereafter, if any. Good luck!
    Here's another suggestion, one that a ponder on here recommended to me, and I was too fish crazy in the beginning to listen to! When you buy your koi, buy as nice of ones as you can afford! Do NOT buy the culls found at your local pet stores, unless you have a supplier to your local fish stores. Buy really nice ones, because they will be there for years and years to come to admire! It's better to buy 3-5 at $50 or more each, then 10 at $15 each, IMO. Wish I had listened, although I have some really beautiful fish!

CountryEscape, Feb 13, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question