Any ideas on filling this

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Our pond is quite large - I am not complaining :confused:

The first pic is the waterfall spillway that used to be at the top of the rock fromation. We just removed it, too much work and too much water loss in the summer. The second picture is one corner of the pond where we have put up lattice for a little extra shading and shelter for the little guys. Third is the whole pond and in the lower left is where this will go.

Hubby is going to rig up a pump to pour in from the top possibly using an antique water pump for the water to pour into the waterfall spillway. We are going to put some patio stones down at the bottom of the pond to raise this barrel type waterfall above the waterline and add some more natural filtering. We are thinking of putting in gravel at the bottom and then maybe some large plants and make this almost like a bog.

You guys always have such great ideas and I am looking forward to your thoughts!
Thanks again!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1213.JPG
    IMG_1213.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_1212.JPG
    IMG_1212.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_1214.JPG
    IMG_1214.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 414

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
DoDad said:
What size is your pond in gallons?

she has in her description 2400 gallons, it looks bigger than that, it is very nice!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
DoDad, Calculating this pond is really difficult. It is an odd shape and there are two boulders that are buried beneath the liner of the pond and protrude above the surface. He built it around the natural rocky area. It has an average depth of about 20" and has spots where it is 30+ inches. Some spots around one of the rocks is maybe 12"The longest end is 28' and the widest is 14' I guess the narrow end is 24' x 10'. So my guess is 2400 gallons, but math was never my strong point... It is a very uneven pond, even though it looks neat in the pictures.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love the looks of it mouseams. With some work you will get it just like you want it.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Are you going to pump the water through your gravel from the bottom up? if not it will filter some from having the plants growing in the pea gravel, the water will filter as it goes through the roots of the plants. You would want to have the gravel and plants high enough for the water to flow through them to get filtering.

Maybe have the pump, pump water into the container, but actually into a large pipe that you have running down into the pea gravel so the water will filter up through the pea gravel. Have holes drilled into the bottom of the pipe to let the water flow out and up through the gravel and plants.

There are so many neat plants you can have in a bog, some that bloom all summer.

Ask a Question