any ideas when the petstores tend to get their larger koi stock

Reaction score
i have been visiting petsmart and pj's pets all over the city and have had no luck finding any good sized or good looking koi for that matter, i don't want to buy online as much as possible but if i have to i will...anyone have any ideas as to when they tend to get their spring stock off fish?
thank you

sorry for the cut off thread titile. it was supposed to say " any idea when the petstores tend to get their larger koi stock?"

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Koi are really starting to show up around here. If your dealing with a petshop unless they are buying koi directly from someone you really don't get good choices normally. there are exceptions but you need to pick one out when it arrives if your going to get anything nice. For the most part Petstores seem to get more lower grade koi, I hate to say it like that but I worked in pet stores for years and that's pretty normal practice.

Reaction score
I have to agree, I see many of the white koi with orange,black red and grey markings splattered all over in unattractive ways, I did get very lucky last year and found some awesome large koi at petsmart, actually alot of the time when i go in the summer to the local petsmart I find amazing fish I guess I'm being impatient and trying to get some too early I will wait a little bit and see, I will go in and ask them when they expect their next shipment

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
thats whats great here 15 minutes from me there is a koi farm in NC and he sells to the public but ships to stockers only and I can get koi at 1 dollar all they way up to 10 dollars depends on how fancy they are and the size .And his goldies run from 50 cents to 3 dollars .The highest I paid was 7 dollars for my butterfly koi .I know when I wa first looking pet stores around here did not have much and were very expensive too

Reaction score
May is the time around here, zone 5. I've gotten a couple of nice koi at petsmart but it takes a lot of tank stalking and patience;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The breeders here in the USA spawn in the spring so their really small koi won't be for sale till fall.

Reaction score
sissy said:
thats whats great here 15 minutes from me there is a koi farm in NC and he sells to the public but ships to stockers only and I can get koi at 1 dollar all they way up to 10 dollars depends on how fancy they are and the size .And his goldies run from 50 cents to 3 dollars .The highest I paid was 7 dollars for my butterfly koi .I know when I wa first looking pet stores around here did not have much and were very expensive too
So so so lucky sissy I officially love hate you thats it, I would love to find koi that cheap lol I would loooovvveee it lol.
evesta said:
May is the time around here, zone 5. I've gotten a couple of nice koi at petsmart but it takes a lot of tank stalking and patience;)
Haha I love the tank stalking because that is so true, you need to sit there and state at the fish for like 10 minutes 10 times a week and they are rarely pretty...sigh
koiguy1969 said:
chck craigslist .........heres one posting i just saw ..15 - 20 minutes from me
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/for/2274812966.html
this is one of 8 pond fish and materials postings just in the general sales category...youll
find them in the farm and garden section too
Thank you koiguy I forgot about craigslist I need to check it out and thanks for the link but I asked him if he would like to ship his koi and he said that he was looking for local customers a shame really but that's ok

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
hi talal. You might want to check out some garden stores. I have seen some amazing fish where you would least expect it. Also you can see if there are any local pond clubs by you. Usually they have fish sales and auctions. Just curious which city are you in? I would think there are other places to get fish than the large pet stores.

Reaction score
hello, i live in edmonton and we don't really have any garden stores that sell koi so thats why i think of petstores when i think about getting koi, we do have the odd ad or 2 on the classifieds but rarely more then a few and usually people asking pretty stupid prices for bad quality poorly cared for fish...i really need to look into some clubs here thanks for the idea, i think i can find some clubs but seeing as how i have only seen about 3 people with a pond in my whole life i really doubt it...we don't have good koi weather here so many people do not go to the trouble of starting out a pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I only found the koi farm by accident too as I was out just getting lost looking at different areas.Getting lost is something I do well and ended up on hwy. 14 in NC and there it was .Gosh I got a gps and still get lost as a lot of the roads have not been mapped here .Even the house I'm buying was not on my gps .I go down my own road 2 years ago when I got the gps and it told me to be careful because I was driving across a field after a couple of times and updating gps on puter I got it on the maps

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
yup, there is one right in your backyard:
Contact> Irene Dunic
Email: email
Northern Lights Koi Club - Edmonton, AB
Conatct> Bill Bedwin
T: (780)469-6432
Also there are several in B.C.