Any interesting birds by your pond?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Sorry to disappoint you, Addy, but your bird is not a bittern. It is a green heron!
John

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
As we were leaving to go to work yesterday morning, a pileated woodpecker flwe across the road just a few lots down from us and perched on a large maple, bobbing back and forth as if showing off for us, They are around, but we only see one every two or three years. A VERY impressive bird!!
John

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yep you are right haro, thanks for the info. They do look similar, the bittern does not have the dark cap..........

Well the gbh has been bypassing the pond, so now I need to fight the green heron lol

from the net:
The green heron feeds at the edge of the water. It eats mostly small fish, but it also eats crustaceans, mollusks, insects, reptiles, amphibians, spiders and leeches.

The green heron breeds in most of the eastern United States from the Canadian border south to the Gulf of Mexico and west to the Great Plains, western Texas and southwestern New Mexico. On the Pacific coast, it breeds from British Columbia south to California and Arizona. It winters in coastal California, southern Arizona and Texas, along the Gulf coast and along the Atlantic coast north to South Carolina.

So I just need to adjust the edge of the water protection. Remove its ability to walk the bog wall.

Those are beautiful woodpeckers haro, so neat you saw one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Addy, Does your Green Heron have a name? Harry II maybe? I was by my pond today and there was a crow making a huge racket in a cottonwood tree branch high above where I was standing. I haven't seen a lot of crows lately but I looked up again and there was a peregrine falcon sitting on a tree limb near the crow. He was just sitting there watching either me or the fish. As soon as I looked in his direction he took off and the crow and two smaller black birds started chasing him. It was a little scary at first because I wasn't sure where the falcon was going to go when he took off. Glad he steered clear of me and the pond!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol Keith, if the little guy comes back he will be named...........so far just one visit. The gbh's (notice plural) fly over constantly. At least three different ones. So far none have landed. I know one day one will visit.

I have flacons around here, they have never shown any interest in the pond or fish. The hawks ignore it also, well except for the frogs in the stream pond. A snack for them.

The mockingbirds and crows chase the hawks and falcon, the crows are chased by even smaller birds, you get a real show watching them.

SE18

David V
Reaction score
no

but there are many

there are:

sparrows

robins

cardinals

havent seen blue jays yet nor crows nor morning doves

nothing unusual (yet), but they sure love the trees and water and splash a lot

birds of feather seem to flock together at certain times; I think they have rule books

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
Because our yard is near the margins of a woods and field, the pond attracts the migrating warblers and other woodland birds not seen at our feeders. In the last two weeks we've seen Canada, Northern Parula, Yellow-rumped, American Redstart, Red eyed-vireo (which stay around all year), water thrush. Yellow. In the area of the pond, but not in the pond, we have seen Blackburnian, Bay-sided, Black throated blue, Black throated green warblers, a Northern Oriole pair, and a Scarlet tanager pair.

Two weeks ago a great blue tried to land on our porch roof. I have never seen one that low, clearly eyeing the pond. I waved my arms and screamed and yelled and he took off. Haven't seen him since.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice looking doves, the ones here love the pond, they fly in to drink out of it all the time. Very nice pond too btw

SE18

David V
Reaction score
I need to get some feeder fish to attract herons; it would be pretty cool to have some

I thought about spoiled meat for some nearby turkey vultures but the hounds would get to the meat first

so, for now, I guess I'll just enjoy the songbirds; I think I saw a yellow color tiny bird the other day but it quickly disappeared; shy I guess

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Very nice video of the dove Mucky! You have to be very sneaky to get a picture of those birds as they spook at the slightest movement!

Reaction score
interesting birds!!!!!!! i should say so ... a darn red tail hawk took 18 of my fish Friday.and what with the owls i am pissed off with birds ..... i put up a net and added some fry , but its now day two and i can only see one lil'ol fish now i know they hide but surely i should see more , the sun only shining on half the pond so it could be they are down around the lilly roots ... is it normal to lose track of them when they are first added to the pond ?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Really neat picture Diver. Looks like the demon owl from Hell but still really cool! Poor guy won't be able to sleep tonight, he'll be seeing dots :blink:

Ask a Question