Any marginals that will grow indoors?

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello all! I basically want an indoor pond year round and was looking for a marginal plant that will grow in my west window year round. Any suggestions? Thankx

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
At least several, probably considerably more. Haven't observed it closely yet. Obviously the marginals cannot need wintering periods (indoor temps should stay above 60 with very rare exceptions). Just to play it safe, lower light marginal plants would be wise. Taros maybe? Any others? (Flowers would be lovely...taros don't have those)

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
You may be limited to mostly foliage plants such as Acorus, Carex and possible Alocasia or Colocasia If you have enough space. Flowering plants are a different story as most will require 4 to 5 hours of sunlight daily in order to flower. Others may have suggestions.

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
OK! What about pickerel rush or some of the water arums? If no flowers, any others with attractive foliage?

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Definitely not huge...shooting for a 16 inch diameter pot.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I tried to overwinter some marginals indoors one year in a south facing window. They survived, but they struggled. By March they were almost done for. I was able to cut them back and plant them outdoors in late April and they did come back, but it took so long for them to look good I decided it just wasn't worth trying to save them any more. Mine were in a patio pond that I moved indoors for the winter - had fish, a filter with a small spitter and everything. It was a one off idea - too much work for too little reward. I'm a high rewards kind of person!

I'm trying to remember what all I moved inside - I know I had a mix of hardy and tropical. They all performed about the same. A taro, some arum, papyrus, cattails, a Mexican bluebell... there may have been others, but that's all that come to mind right now.

Good luck with your project - maybe a grow light is in order?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wondering if Water Hawthorn would flower indoors. I know it likes mild temps and can grow in sun or part shade. I see it in your avatar so maybe you could try it or maybe you already have?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Golden pothos
Umbrella papyrus
Climbing fig
Split-leaf Philodendron
Lucky bamboo
Syngonium species

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Good luck with your project - maybe a grow light is in order?
Definitely a grow light! Hardy plants generally need lots of light during the summer, with a cold period in winter. Very hard to duplicate indoors! As for tropicals, I have tried to overwinter them in a commercial greenhouse with limited success. Most will get tall and/or stringy before rotting. Papyrus tend to thrive the first half of winter, but 80% don't survive the following spring. The only plants that really seem to enjoy their time in the greenhouse are Canna lillies. I have some now that are the offspring of a few leftovers from at least five years ago. They bloom most of the summer, and about half the winter! They need splitting and re-potting every spring. Some have variegated leaves for interest, and the yellow/pink/orange/red flowers are gorgeous! Foliage, flowers... they have everything you want, BUT... they easily reach 3' in height. Probably too big for a 16" pot unless they are the only thing in it.
John
BTW, I'm in southern Ontario. Depending upon your location, YMMV.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thing is people sometimes forget to fertilize and change some of the water once a week or use a small aerator .I have dwarf cattails in my basement and lots of water hyacinth .I would also put it on wheels you don't want mold or damaged floors old wood and casters from old office chairs at the dump and they hold up under weight
peppers and new plant holdrs 2015 006.JPG
peppers and new plant holdrs 2015 005.JPG

Ask a Question