Any one using pvc liners

Reaction score
I want to add a section to my pond that will be 18inch deep, and was looking at some pvc liner that is 20mil thick. How will will this hold up can i also splice it to the regular edm 45 mil liner. This stuff is so cheap i would be saving probally a 1oobucks in the liner but i am worried about durability so i would like some imput hopefully by someone that used these products Thanks

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a big section of pvc that is 8 years old and no problems .The only problem I'm having is the over lay i did and all the goop did not hold it in place and slight amount of water is getting up between the 2 liners

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i have a freind who had a PVC liner better than 10 years when they sold the house. and their outdoor pond was still fine. i've got 5 years on my basement pond with a pvc liner. but for outside i would still opt for EPDM. much stronger and better U.V resistanmce.

Reaction score
I'm about to install a PVC material used on billboards. UV is the biggest life reducer. There's a local landscaping show here in Phoenix called Step Outside put on by a professional landscaper. One episode was a pond install and he used PVC liner covered by a mortar to protect the liner. My install will be a Vernal Pool filled with soil so the liner will be completely covered by soil.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It just breaks down from sunlight .But my neighbors pond is over 10 years old and so far he has had no problems with his .I have pvc in my waterfall and that is over 8 years old .

Reaction score
Thanks i am mostly shaded with very little direct sun light, it will be on the north side of my house so maybe 3 hrs at best of sun.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
But you may have to watch in the winter freezing cold can make it brittle also after time goes by .Mine is close to my septic tank and think it gets heat from that as the bottom of the pond all winter is a lot warmer than it should be .But not great for the summer ,oh well :razz:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thing is with a pond you are always changing something and seems on here that a lot of people do go bigger .Gosh pvc trim holds up on house trim now for years and not protected and so does the fencing they make out of it .

Reaction score
I was told that if you use coloring in the pond it will help and shelves on the edges for stone to cover the liner completely. I got two pcs of 45mil EPDM rubber today, at a roofing supply company for $150, both of them together will be 20 x 25. I'll seal it together with a rubber caulking they have :)

Reaction score
Yeah that is cheap for that liner. I think the worst part is winter here in wisconsin. but the splicing materail isnt cheap either. I paid this year a 100 bucks for the glue and tape kit. the one nice thing is this time a year you can get some pretty good deals in all the close out racks. I paid today 109 dollars for the liner that is 21x14, i thought that was a great deal i could not pas up. i might not do my next expansion project till next spring but i am buying all the supplies now because of all the close out deals.

Reaction score
I used the 20 mil PVC billboard material today.
LinerInPond1.jpg

14'x48' (was actually 15' 4" wide but edges have cuts) for $59 plus $55 shipping from Billboard Tarps. Seemed brand new. It was solid black on the back. I'd use this material again if it was to be covered. Do have to be more careful however, at least I felt like I had to. For this pond I would have skipped underlayment if I was using EPDM, but felt underlayment was needed for 20 mil PVC. This stuff is reinforced, not just PVC.

Sure was a lot easier to work with than 45 mil EPDM, especially in this small pond (piece was just 15x10), because the folds lay so flat. Very light compared to EPDM. Plus I like reusing.

For those from NJ the billboard was for Provident Bank of NJ.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I thought that looked familiar waterbug .Banked there years ago .What does it feel like because a sign company here in VA just posted them for sale and says great for ponds and holds water they want 20 dollars for the big ones ,But talked to the guy yesterday since nothing to do ,rained .and he said he would take 15 for them .Now wondering he said 15 for them and it says he has 4 of them and could that be 15 for all of them .

Ask a Question