Any suggestions for water plants (I’m a beginner)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6B (-5 to 0 F)
Country
United States
Got the pond dug out this weekend and the liner should be here this week. Still need to source rocks and get the thing built but in the interests of advanced planning does anyone have any suggestions for easy plants that I should start with? I do plan on having a 20” bog filter. Depth of pond is three feet with plant shelves about 12” along the perimeter.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Pond plants are all pretty easy. Do you have a local source for pond plants? I would go and check them out and see what appeals to you. Reeds, rushes, sedges, irises - all are good to start with and will give you height. You'll want things that are hardy to your zone so you aren't buying the same things year after year. Most pond stores will separate hardy from tropical.

Pay careful attention to the growing habits of whatever you plant - some plants spread faster than other!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’m not sure if a lily would be hardy as far north as you are. But if so and you get full sun you can’t go wrong with a lily. A lot of choices of blooms and they provide cover for your fish. They are fairly easy and won’t take over if you keep them in pots. I’m not sure how the stand up to koi but there are plenty of members here that have a lot of experience with them

Attachments

• ABFFF437-9B94-4F7D-B5F8-05D9D9F474CA.jpeg
    ABFFF437-9B94-4F7D-B5F8-05D9D9F474CA.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 147
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
That how I feel I even like them more than my lotus. They seem to bloom better an not as needy. Don’t let my lotus hear that. It I’ll tell the new one that is coming this week

Ask a Question