Any tricks to get more flowers from lilys?

Reaction score
My wife and I have a 1000 gallon above ground pond. It is quite healthy and clear with a number of different plants and a few fish. We have about a half dozen lillys. While they are all healthy looking, we are lucky to get 1 or 2 flowers from half of the plants. Are there any tricks to get more flowers?
Thanks
Todd

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
8 hours or more of sunlight, feed once a month, keep the yellow leaves trimed back. With tropicals warm water is needed, with hardies not as much but still needed.

Reaction score
Try to use a fertilizer tab with a high phosphate amount or middle number on the label. For example 8-16-8.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It seems when I prune off the old leaves, the yellow leaves, dead flowers the lilies go crazy with blooming. Mine are also in full sun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I found great success with the Jobes fertilizer spikes. I fertilize monthly during the growing season. I put one spike at 12, one at 3, one at 6 and one at 9 as you would read a clock, with hands. They are inexpensive and can be found at almost all hardware stores. If you have had your lilies for a season, make sure to check the roots. Sometimes the plants get root bound. White roots will run around the inside of the pot and the plant growth will suffer. I live in Florida and have to trim the roots every 3 to 4 months. Might explain the excessive root growth. Also check the location of your plants. My plants sit in a dedicated pond without any moving water. Some lilies I have had refuse to flower when there is too much current. Good Luck!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine will all get trimmed for the winter season, a few of the pink ones that have been blooming all summer feel root bound, but they are still blooming great, so leaving them alone for now.

Thanks for the tips alvarero

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Our water hyacinths multiplied like crazy and perhaps they blocked a lot of the sun getting to the lilies. I've thinned them out quite a bit so perhaps that will help. I'll also fertilize as well.

Todd

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks guys. Our water hyacinths multiplied like crazy and perhaps they blocked a lot of the sun getting to the lilies. I've thinned them out quite a bit so perhaps that will help. I'll also fertilize as well.

Todd

That should help Todd, I was reading to trim some of the old leaves on the lilies and of course yellow ones to help light get to the tuber.

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
I have a pot with two lily plants in it. One of the tubers has actually popped up out of the gravel. Is this a problem? Should I re-pot it do you think? It is blooming finally, but only just, and here it is July.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could, I tend to leave mine alone except at the start and end of season. Add some tabs, trim that is all I do until fall.

See if you can get it out put it in a pot by itself with some litter and osmocote under the litter, it might do better.

mew5280

Mary, Denver, CO
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5, Denver CO, -10 to -15
Country
United States
I have never used fertilizer on my lilies. This year I have had more than usual and I think it's because I divided them last year or maybe it was the year before, though I'm really not sure. They just keep blooming and blooming this year. Usually I don't have so many in August, I'm really amazed. Another thing that happened was in early July a hailstorm battered my pond and broke up the lily pads. New pads grew up in their place and a whole new crop of flowers. Just enjoying them now.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Todd; how long have the lillies been in the pond? If they become root-bound, they will put up more leaves,thus "looking healthy", but very few flowers. That's why they tend to do so much better after re-potting. John

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine seem to bloom like crazy when I remove some of the leaves. During my grooming.

Ask a Question