Any way to keep a pond liquid in zone 4

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I am new here, if you could not tell. I want to keep my fish in my pond over the winter. I live in a zone 4 area where things freeze up and by regulations can only have a pond that is 2 feet deep. I have been told that if I keep the water moving, it will not freeze. Does anyone else have any thoughts or is this just an impossible dream?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So based on your questions, I'm guessing you don't have a pond - you're just planning ahead. I can tell you that here in zone 5 - where things also "freeze up" - lots and lots and lots of people have ponds that are only 2 feet deep. The fish stay in the pond all winter, they keep a hole in the ice (not necessarily running water, but that is one option) and all is well. Keeping the pond "liquid" however - as in no ice cap - is unrealistic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Depending on the size of your pond, covering it will greatly help keep it from freezing over.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Actually, I do have a complete pond. I took the fish out and they are in my garage. I want to put them back. I could run and air stone or a water pump facing up all winter. Would that be enough? My concern is that although I may keep a small area open, the majority of the pond would freeze solid and not leave enough room for the fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I once had one of those K&H pond de-icers that was way too powerful. It was 1500 watts and it kept a rather large opening in the ice. It was more of a heater than a de-icer! I got rid of it. It was too extreme and drew too much power. They make them in various wattages and they can be used as a floater or converted to be submerged.
I like the suggestion of covering the pond to keep the heat in. Maybe some type of framework and heavy plastic sheeting to let the sun in for a greenhouse effect. Shaped like an "A" frame or pup tent to keep the snow off.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-11-9_15-24-25.gif
@reeffish @callingcolleen1 in Canada keeps her pond running all winter. She puts plastic covers over hers. Take a look at her thread: My pond runs all winter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Where do you live they have a two foot maximum in the code. somethings not right. I would bet two foot is the maximum where you do not need a fence

Ask a Question