Any way to keep a pond liquid in zone 4

Discussion in 'Winterizing Your Pond' started by reeffish, Nov 8, 2018.

1. reeffish

reeffish

Hello, I am new here, if you could not tell. I want to keep my fish in my pond over the winter. I live in a zone 4 area where things freeze up and by regulations can only have a pond that is 2 feet deep. I have been told that if I keep the water moving, it will not freeze. Does anyone else have any thoughts or is this just an impossible dream?

reeffish, Nov 8, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. reeffish

Lisak1

So based on your questions, I'm guessing you don't have a pond - you're just planning ahead. I can tell you that here in zone 5 - where things also "freeze up" - lots and lots and lots of people have ponds that are only 2 feet deep. The fish stay in the pond all winter, they keep a hole in the ice (not necessarily running water, but that is one option) and all is well. Keeping the pond "liquid" however - as in no ice cap - is unrealistic.

Lisak1, Nov 8, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. reeffish

Tula

Depending on the size of your pond, covering it will greatly help keep it from freezing over.

Tula, Nov 8, 2018
  4. reeffish

reeffish

Actually, I do have a complete pond. I took the fish out and they are in my garage. I want to put them back. I could run and air stone or a water pump facing up all winter. Would that be enough? My concern is that although I may keep a small area open, the majority of the pond would freeze solid and not leave enough room for the fish.

reeffish, Nov 8, 2018
  5. reeffish

Lisak1

Is this an in ground pond? Can you post one pictures?

Lisak1, Nov 9, 2018
  6. reeffish

poconojoe

I once had one of those K&H pond de-icers that was way too powerful. It was 1500 watts and it kept a rather large opening in the ice. It was more of a heater than a de-icer! I got rid of it. It was too extreme and drew too much power. They make them in various wattages and they can be used as a floater or converted to be submerged.
    I like the suggestion of covering the pond to keep the heat in. Maybe some type of framework and heavy plastic sheeting to let the sun in for a greenhouse effect. Shaped like an "A" frame or pup tent to keep the snow off.

poconojoe, Nov 9, 2018
  7. reeffish

j.w I Love my Goldies

upload_2018-11-9_15-24-25.gif @reeffish @callingcolleen1 in Canada keeps her pond running all winter. She puts plastic covers over hers. Take a look at her thread: My pond runs all winter.

j.w, Nov 9, 2018
    Tara likes this.
  8. reeffish

MitchM

What species of fish?
    How many?
    What size pond?
    How exposed is the pond?
    ...etc...

MitchM, Nov 10, 2018
  9. reeffish

GBBUDD

Where do you live they have a two foot maximum in the code. somethings not right. I would bet two foot is the maximum where you do not need a fence

GBBUDD, Nov 11, 2018 at 5:47 AM
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question