Any way to make a spitter quieter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I had a small waterfall setup for my pond but it came a little hard to maintain; mainly because cats or foxes would always dislodge it and it would end up taking water out of the pond. One time it done it in the morning and I came back to a pond almost empty and fish flapping around. Anyway, I got a nice looking spitter, a medium sized fish statue that spits the water up. I have put it in and though I am fine with the noise, it is making me a little anxious as it is very noticiable with the windows opened, or closed, and it's not the best sound as the stream plods on the water.

I have let both neighbours know that if it evens causes the slightest of annoyance, let me know straight away but I feel that probably won't tell me even if it did. Is there any way I can make it quieter? I have tried moving the plants and Lilly pads around but they don't stay in one place and only make it a little better. It looks like I may just have to get rid of it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have a some ideas to reduce the flow to the spitter.
Add a valve in the line so you can adjust the flow.
Add a splitter in the line so some of the water goes somewhere else. Maybe just right into the pond.
Or do both, splitter and a valve on the splitter feed.
Or use a smaller pump. A less powerful pump will cut down the stream of water and even save electricity.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Perhaps placing a flat stone or piece of plastic at a 45 degree angle so that the water strikes it first and 'slides' quietly into the pond? Or possibly having the water hit something to break up and quiet the flow such as an inert material like coconut fiber or even a multi-stalked emersed growing plant like umbrella palm. Just thinking off the cuff here but there certainly is a solution. Don't give up, I bet one of the forum members will have a solution.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Can you change the angle that it hits the water? Maybe tilt it a bit so it is more of an arc and falls from a shorter distance?

Post a picture - that would be helpful!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not the best picture. I got up early this morning and put the waterfall back in as it was so loud. I am still looking for a way to make this work however. Top right of the pond is where the spitter is and you can just about make out the stream. Thanks all for the replies so far.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Could you perhaps try a different type of spitter? We had one in our patio pond that was tall and the water dropped from a higher distance. I finally replaced it because it got clogged constantly and got one that looks like this:

Because the water is falling a much shorter distance and the trajectory is out and over the water instead of almost straight down, the sound is very different from our old one. Also, if you can add some plants between the wall and the pond it would go a long way toward absorbing sound.

I also wonder if you're overly concerned about the sound... have you asked your neighbors if you can listen from their side of the wall? Does the sound bother you? Because honestly, most people love the sound of running water and find it soothing rather than annoying. My neighbors on all three sides tell us how much they enjoy hearing our water and we have A LOT of water noise coming from our yard. It's definitely more enjoyable than barking dogs or engines revving, which we also get to enjoy!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Once you have the water running for a while,you will get used to it. If one of my pumps shut down, I can tell by the sound.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Can you slow the water down by pinching, bending or putting a clothespin, paper binder clamp, one of carpenter's clamps or a heavy rock on the line feeding the spitter? That's assuming it's a flexible line.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks all for the replies. There is a possibility that I may be over concerned by the neighbours but think if it was bothering them, some are too nice to let me know! I did actually say to both direct neighbours to let me know if it causes a problem. My wife got up in the night to go toilet and did say it was loud. It's so loud that if the upstairs bathroom window is open at night, I can hear it from the living room downstairs and it's not the most elegant of sounds.

Thanks all for the help. I will give a few of the suggestions a try and let you know how I get on.

Ask a Question