Anybody grow this in their pond...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States

Houttuynia cordata ‘Plena’ - Orange peel plant​

I've had a pot of this stuff in my pond for several years. It blooms OK, never really goes wild, and just quietly does its thing in its pot. Until last year. Now I am finding it out in my yard 20 - 30 feet from the pond. It's coming up everywhere - and it is not a boggy area. I am baffled. Happy, but baffled...and the past two winters here have been brutal.

1649799807634.png

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Chameleon plant, its a member of the mint family and is considered invasive in some areas. I had it in my bog but removed it because it was taking over.
You may not be so happy if it takes over your yard! Made that mistake with pennywort.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks for the heads-up. I had a pot of mint on my front porch many years ago. It ended up in the flower beds and began expanding in all directions, much like the Federal Government. Took a few weeks to finally pull it all up - it was everywhere.

I'll keep an eye on this new interloper. I've got plenty of RoundUp if needed...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for the heads-up. I had a pot of mint on my front porch many years ago. It ended up in the flower beds and began expanding in all directions, much like the Federal Government. Took a few weeks to finally pull it all up - it was everywhere.

I'll keep an eye on this new interloper. I've got plenty of RoundUp if needed...
I HAD SOME MINT GET INTO MY BOG I NEVER BOUGHT the stuff and it filled the bog within two years it's not going back in the new setup

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
About 20 years ago, I had a friend offer to share a really pretty pass along plant she got from a friend of hers. It was Chameleon plant. It has taken over my garden beds. Grrrrrr. It is a very pretty plant - but it does not behave at all! If you are able to dig it out before it gets even more out of control, that would be good!

Ask a Question