Anyone else have crayfish in their pond?

Reaction score
We put 3 crayfish in our pond 4 years ago and they are still doing well. Folks told us we'd lose fish but we haven't lost any (in fact we are overloaded with a ton of babies this year!. They are great bottom feeders! They survive just fine in our cold winters (as cold as -22c)

A couple of pics
Aug2012003.jpg

Aug2012004.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neat, my honey wants some, wondering if they would eat my trap door snails though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I had two crayfish that outgrew our aquarium, so I moved them out to the pond. These kind had smaller pinchers, so I wasn't as worried about them hurting the fish, although I do think they ate some of the new hatchlings. One disappeared soon after putting them outside. The second one survived the Winter, and was moved into the new larger pond when I built it last year. I have not seen any sign of him since then. There's not really any other nearby water, so I have no idea where he could have gone off to, however I do have a lot of rock in the pond, so its possible he's found a home somewhere and I just never see him.

Reaction score
That could be the case. We can go several weeks without seeing one. We actually thought we only had 2 left however last weekend we could see all three at the same time.

Ask a Question