anyone ever build a island in middle of pond?

Reaction score
Hi Last year I made pond #1 and now Im ever so addicted.

Anyways I have a 25/20 40 mil liner Fast falls3600 3ft waterfall and a laguana skimmer for the new project.

My wife mentioned that she wanted a wall to sit on to watch and feed the fish. so i was thinking of a 3ft high border made of castle wall stone and a inside track 6 ft. deep 3 above and 3 below ground for the fish to swim around with a waterfall in the center running down from the island with a nice japanese maple up there above it.

anyways my multiple questions are as fallows has anyone ever built a race track type pond?

If i build this with cement blocks as a track inside and outside the race track and build the center up with dirt. Then lay the liner over the whole thing and cut center out for tree and waterfall plumbing surround the outside cement block track with dirt and then castle wall and mulch on top. what dimension should this be to utilize the most liner with the track being 6ft total deep?
do this sound like a good idea? talk me out of it and tell me a traditional pond next to my 14x11 is a better idea if it isnt.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
actually that sounds kind of cool. and can be done. as long as the trees roots on the liner wont cause a problem.

BlakeA

koiboy
Reaction score
I had almost the exact same idea, and talked myself out of it because of the roots. I almost did it anyway without a tree. But yes sounds good, and will look really nice, but worried about the roots of the maple.

As for the right sizing, I found this calculator to help you. http://www.geocheminc.com/ovalcalc.htm

An oval shape with about a 9'x5' and average to max depth of 6' would be about right.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Most of the japanese maples are small, and the roots from them are not not a big prob compared to other trees,,,I think the main prob would be getting the linner around the island,,,but it can be done ....it would be neet

Reaction score
I don't think the roots on a Japanese Maple would be a problem. They aren't as pervasive as other trees.

Also, I once read that most tree roots will follow the weight of the water and go deeper than the liner rather than puncturing it. Not sure if that's right or not. It's just something I read.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Having an island in the middle of a large pond sounds like a great idea. How about making a small portion of the island shallow water for marsh plants? It would or could attract frogs and other critters that would otherwise be disturbed by our presents.

Reaction score
I've thought about making a island for my pond but, a floating island. Use thick ridged Styrofoam layered and glued and carve out in the middle like a boat and fill with dirt plants and rocks to where it sits in the pond well. I even seen some of those solar pumps available and could possibly have its own little water fall into the pond too. It would be a pretty easy project and you can pull your island in to tend to the plants when necessary. Also another place for the koi to sit under for shade.

Attachments

• Island.jpg
    Island.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 527

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I built a floating Island out of PVC and a flat from the nursery. I have a variety of water plants in it and for about 18 months it has been a great asset.

Ask a Question