Anyone ever see a cat jump in a pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Really? My buddies labs kills 20 lb groundhogs like a cat kills a mouse.

Mine never killed anything, although he was accused on more then one occassion of killing chickens and kittens. But that dog never killed anything. But he could sniff out a box turtle, lol. My neighbors accused him of ripping kittens right out of childrens hands. So I said prove it and went to their house with the dog. Kid was holding the kitten and the dog paid absolutley no attention at all. I was like, yeah, whatever, and went home with my dog. Labs shouldnt be killing anything, unless trained for it, and even then, its against their nature. They are not hunting dogs, they are retreivers and bred with soft mouths to not damage duck meat.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Idk if thats illegal where you are. You might want to check your laws first.
The right thing to do is always the correct thing to do. Feral cats are a problem that we inflicted on nature. Any wild cat roaming the fields is destroying prey items necessary for wild predators . Some say let nature take care of itself, I agree and seeing as how I too am part of nature then I can take care of it naturally.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
The right thing to do is always the correct thing to do. Feral cats are a problem that we inflicted on nature. Any wild cat roaming the fields is destroying prey items necessary for wild predators . Some say let nature take care of itself, I agree and seeing as how I too am part of nature then I can take care of it naturally.
Same time, my old cat was not wild, but roamed a small portion of our area and kept mice under control. Idk how rural you are, but it would be a shame to shoot someones pet.

Last edited:

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mine never killed anything, although he was accused on more then one occassion of killing chickens and kittens. But that dog never killed anything. But he could sniff out a box turtle, lol. My neighbors accused him of ripping kittens right out of childrens hands. So I said prove it and went to their house with the dog. Kid was holding the kitten and the dog paid absolutley no attention at all. I was like, yeah, whatever, and went home with my dog. Labs shouldnt be killing anything, unless trained for it, and even then, its against their nature. They are not hunting dogs, they are retreivers and bred with soft mouths to not damage duck meat.
Soft mouth? My buddies labs won't kill a house cat either but any barn cat is in danger ofosing it's life. I've never kept labs myself but they are commonly kept by pretty much everyone I know. All of them are groundhog killers .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Soft mouth? My buddies labs won't kill a house cat either but any barn cat is in danger ofosing it's life. I've never kept labs myself but they are commonly kept by pretty much everyone I know. All of them are groundhog killers .
Soft mouth...ie, gentle jaws. Squeezing hard damages the meat. We had possum problems, but my Lab was a retreiver always. He would just catch them literally by the tail and bring them to him. Idk what kind of training my dog got, but it wasnt to kill. Maybe your areas labs are trained for that. Its not their true purpose though.

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
One more thing about dogs KC. The nature of a dog is to kill things, that is not to be said that they will all do that. I can tell that if a dog is allowed to then it will kill freely and joyfully anything it can take down and it doesn't take training to do that. Maybe it's just the rural redneck way out here on the right coast.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
@Smaug I understand your sentiment but I truly doubt a controlled feral cat population has lead to the decimation of wild predators.

Wild predators also have to be controlled. This is why we have hunting seasons...

In my area, we occasionally have a large hunting season for coyotes due to how there is no natural predator for them here and their food supply is quite lush (i.e., rabbits, mice, rats, foxes, pronghorns). The coyotes were reproducing so much that they were starving them selves, which made them weak enough for mange to creep in...

Anything left uncontrolled is not good... no matter what animal it is... even domesticated dogs...

We have a problem with not leashed, free roaming domesticated dogs here... Domesticated dogs are not much different than immature children when they are in a pack. When they get in a pack, unrestrained, they do alot of stupid.

We lose adult cows here on occasion due to not leashed, free roaming domesticated dogs in the rural area.

The dogs surround the cow... cause the cow to lose balance and fall... the dogs go directly for all the soft parts of the cow.. and then leave to go back home on their owner's patio as if nothing happens... while the cow lays bleeding to death... Losing a cow costs a tremendous amount of money, thousands of dollars.

As for the consequences to the shooter and the dog, the consequences vary by state. (http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/free-books/dog-book/chapter9-2.html)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
One more thing about dogs KC. The nature of a dog is to kill things, that is not to be said that they will all do that. I can tell that if a dog is allowed to then it will kill freely and joyfully anything it can take down and it doesn't take training to do that. Maybe it's just the rural redneck way out here on the right coast.
I know dogs well. i grew up in rural Louisiana. The only reasons domestic dogs kill is training, bad training, ill breeding or starvation (desperation) like in Charles last post.

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
I never used the word decimate but that's probably a pretty good word to use when describing what a feral cat does to small prey items. (1 in 10 killed) . Probably alot higher then that. I woukd also kill free roaming dogs and it's commonplace for deer hunters in my area to do it. In any case feral cats and dogs need eliminating not neutering .

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I would be careful about shooting anything in today's litigious society... especially now, unfortunately, in today's politically correct society, since the line between animal and human is becoming blurred.

Animals should be protected, but I think people go too far at times in how they should be protected.

This story I just googled is crazy....
Man Gets Felony For Shooting Stray Cat with a BB Gun (http://www.offthegridnews.com/current-events/man-arrested-for-shooting-stray-cat-with-bb-gun/)

Here is another story that I hear happens more often in my area... protection of Prairie Dogs... Prairie Dogs are basically rats and proliferate like rats, but their holes easily breaks livestock and horses legs. Prairie Dogs can take over grassland and construction sites very quick. Their holes also can easily break agriculture equipment and vehicle axles, bearings, and cause other problems.

Here's a crazy article... which this still happens to this day... there is a point when people get rather stupid...
One Woman makes mission of saving Prairie Dogs (http://lubbockonline.com/local-news...akes-mission-saving-prairie-dogs#.VzjBDORppl1)

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know dogs well. i grew up in rural Louisiana. The only reasons domestic dogs kill is training, bad training, ill breeding or starvation (desperation) like in Charles last post.
KC. The desire to chase and kill is something that needs trained out of a dog. I've had my nose in nature since day one. Now,I got a pond to net out and hopefully no cats got stuck in the skimmer. Lmao

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I would be careful about shooting anything in today's litigious society... especially now, unfortunately, in today's politically correct society, since the line between animal and human is becoming blurred.

Animals should be protected, but I think people go too far at times in how they should be protected.

This story I just googled is crazy....
Man Gets Felony For Shooting Stray Cat with a BB Gun (http://www.offthegridnews.com/current-events/man-arrested-for-shooting-stray-cat-with-bb-gun/)

Here is another story that I hear happens more often in my area... protection of Prairie Dogs... Prairie Dogs are basically rats and proliferate like rats, but their holes easily breaks livestock and horses legs. Prairie Dogs can take over grassland and construction sites very quick. Their holes also can easily break agriculture equipment and vehicle axles, bearings, and cause other problems.

Here's a crazy article... which this still happens to this day... there is a point when people get rather stupid...
One Woman makes mission of saving Prairie Dogs (http://lubbockonline.com/local-news...akes-mission-saving-prairie-dogs#.VzjBDORppl1)
But at the same time, before domestic cattle roamed our wild west, prairie dogs lived in perfect unison with buffalo and other big grazers. So although they are rats to humans, because they damage the bottom line of a pocketbook, an occassional broken leg of a buffalo was not noticed and fed the circle of life for wolves and other predators.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Feral cats actually need more protection to survive than folk need. Their immune system is not as strong as their ancestors. I find very common ailments are the reasons why my farm feral cats often don't live no longer than 2~3 years... Plus, I control the amount of food I give them...

In the rural area at my place, chicken hawks, foxes, great horned owls, coyotes, bobtail cats, mountain lions, and vehicle traffic are all predators of my farm feral cats...

If I neutered/spade my feral farm cats... I guarantee I would not have any within 4 years...

Ask a Question