Anyone have a POndmaster AP100 air pump for wintering?

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Got my Ap100 air pump and not happy with airflow. IS it really enough air to keep a hole open in the ice?

Thanks

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow Wayne it should be like a volcano. I have a 2500 gal pond about 3&1/2 ft deep and bought a AP40 Pondmaster pump and it boils up a really huge amt of bubbles. I'm not going to run mine in the winter tho as thinking it will cool the water down too much for my goldfish. I just will use a small aquarium pump that blows a small amt of bubbles to keep ice open if we get any. Of course we aren't as cold as you must be in Canada. Must be a problem w/ yours I'm thinking. I think addy has one just the same size as yours so ask her.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Thanks, I need a photo of one in action to compare the air flow.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a long distance shot only, made a ring with irrigation pipe, 3/4 inch drilled in holes, also running air lines to the lotus tub. It boils the water. If you just have the diffuser hooked up to 3/4 inch line the water is boiled up around 2-3 inches I don't have a picture of that.

I am thinking of just using the diffuser this year as long as it pushes some air to the lotus tub with the rest of the ports wide open.

DSC02879.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hey addy can he go to your camera feed and point one of the camera's in that spot where the bubbles are coming up and actually see it in action?

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I was hoping for a closeup of the pump with just 1 air stone, oh well, thanks. I haven't hooked it up yet to see the underwater effects. Just plugged it in and tested it. So in ice over conditions does it matter if it doesn't keep a hole open? Maybe use this and a pump? Will have to look into it more.

That is a nice winter shot for photo of the month!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't have it running jw, haven't most of the summer. I could find a underwater fish shot showing one air stone of the 6 working, if I can find it. Let me look

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Now I like the way that air stone bubbles. You said it is 4" and is it one of those round flat ones?

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
So you saying with 1 Ap100, you're running 6 4" air stones at same time? And all 6 bubble like the one in photo?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Now I like the way that air stone bubbles. You said it is 4" and is it one of those round flat ones?

It is a flat 4 inch air stone.

So you saying with 1 Ap100, you're running 6 4" air stones at same time? And all 6 bubble like the one in photo?

Yes I had six running, two do not bubble as well but they are a different air stone material. Turned it off early summer, with the stream and waterfall did not really need it running.

In the winter I just use a home made ring of irrigation tubing holes poked in it so I have a bubbling ring of air. Also two air lines go to the lotus tub to keep it from freezing over, used drip line connectors to attach the air line to the tubing.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks addy think I'll look for those 4" flat ones and hope I can find some nice ones like you have.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I too say thanks. Surprised at air stone prices, 12" flat is like $67 at one site. I bet Sissy can find me some cheaper.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
OH gosh I'm not paying that price either Wayne! I hope somebody has some idea's too. Were you looking on ebay cuz lots of times you can find them cheaper there.

Ask a Question