Anyone have chickens?

Reaction score
My beautiful wonderful kids have talked us into chickens :) So we have 5 baby chickens(all Hens) now in our garage in their brooder. We have one Buff Orpington, two Araucanas/Americanas,one black Australorp and a Silver Laced Wyandotte. We have already bought the coop but it will be awhile before moving them there as they are only a week old. Would love to see some pictures and any advice on keeping chickens would be great.

Attachments

• chicken.jpg
    chicken.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 309
  • chick.jpg
    chick.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 300
Reaction score
Awww... congrats on your new feathered (or to be feathered LOL) kids... All of the breeds you selected are very nice laying hens, as well as pets. Start spoiling that little Buff now, as she is likely to be the sweetest of your flock. The Orps are VERY friendly. I'll never be without orps! My absolute favorite!

Will have to look through the pc to see what I have for pics (or will need to take some)... At this time, we have a mix of Buff Orps, White Orps, Partridge Rocks, Barred Rocks, Black Australops, a RI Red, and a Salmon Favorelle...

If you have any questions, dont hesitate to ask!

Reaction score
Capewind I love the looks of the Salmon Favorelle..are they friendly? My son already named the buff Sunshine :) J.W they are super cute and I have already been viewing that site for ideas but haven't joined it yet. Capewind any pics of your coop? Mine is small and I need to redo the run as they have chicken wire on it and I have read fox etc can get through that with no issues. I will try to post my coop later on after things settle down. I told my husband he better start building a bigger coop because I am finding some nice looking chickens lol. He told me to slow down he he.

Reaction score
Oh boy, sounds like you have chicken fever! I know the symptoms well..... I got into chickens in a big way, to my husbands dismay. At one time I had about 8 different breeds, every color under the rainbow. Sadly now I am down to a small handful. My rooster is so cool he is a Black Sumatra, and a real sweet rooster. Nothing like a good fresh egg!!

Reaction score
The Salmons are very friendly, but ours, Lily, is a bit of a retard. She was given to us by a Salmon breeder when she was just 4 or 5 days old. She was missing an eye, so only walked in circles, so she got a lot of attention when young (encouraging her to come from her blind side).

We just built another, SMALLER coop last year. It is a bit of an eyesore (made from scrap lumber and never painted) as it was meant to be short term, but it has worked out really well. The base is a 4x8 sheet of plywood, and the whole front opens like barn doors for super easy cleaning, Wanted it raised, so the height was adjusted to the height of a wheelbarrow... A closet rod runs the whole 8' inside for a pirch, and 3 nesting boxes on the right end for easy egg collection.

Yard wise, they have an 22x32 "dog pen" with a tunnel to a larger area (maybe 60x100 or so),

Anyways, just got home and tried to take pics by myself, but they were being a pain in the butt LOL. Attention seekers. The pics are aweful (getting dark), but will attached all that are not blurry.

Attachments

• DSCN5088.JPG
    DSCN5088.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 307
  • DSCN5090.JPG
    DSCN5090.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 272
  • DSCN5091.JPG
    DSCN5091.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 317
  • DSCN5093.JPG
    DSCN5093.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 295
  • DSCN5099.JPG
    DSCN5099.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 298
  • DSCN5101.JPG
    DSCN5101.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 317
  • DSCN5103.JPG
    DSCN5103.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 252
  • DSCN5105.JPG
    DSCN5105.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 279
  • DSCN5110.JPG
    DSCN5110.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 288
  • DSCN5111.JPG
    DSCN5111.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 338
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your coop /chicken pics loved them all. I am in the process of looking for a bigger brooder as they are already outgrowing this tote . I will try to get a pic of my coop today,its smaller than yours for sure.

Reaction score
Chickens are wonderful pets! I had chicken for 10years, up until two years ago, miss having them so much. I could sit and watch them for hours. Kinda like watching fish in a bowl!!! Or maybe it's pond ;)
My rooster was a silver laced wyondotte, he was a beautiful bird and my baby :) Every time I'd walk I the yard he'd come to me and want me to pick him up. Lol. his name was Eagle cause he looked like a bald eagle chick when he was born :D he was very good with the girls and kept them safe. Not sure where Avon is in Indiana BF but, every couple years (and I believe we're very due this year) we get bitter cold winters for a month or two. So we had to put a heater in their coop, not on high or anything, just enough to keep the freeze off.
Good luck! They are great pets for kids :)

Oh! Also! Another tip. Be sure, EVERY NIGHT, to shut the coop up tight. Believe me the critters will find them, and if they don't get the chickens, they will get their eggs :(
Read as much as you can about them :) and enjoy them!

Reaction score
Blessed, go check out appliance centers for a big box (from a stove or even a fridge). Because of where I order from, I have to order 25 chicks (place half via craigslist). At the start, we've done a variety of things. When small (aka "short") a 60" kiddie pool worked great. Just space 5-6 drywall screws into the lip, and you can put deer netting on top to stop them from hoping out. If you add a piece of pex tubing to make a dome, that works great for about 3 weeks, with less, you could probably do a month. When they've outgrown that, and it is still too cold (I always order from the Jan hatch dates), they get moved to the basement, and for that, we use a 4x8 sheet of plywood (with the last batch, it became the floor of the above coop), and 2 levels of 2 x 12 x 8' that we had on hand (became the nesting boxes), and again, some deer netting. That offered enough room (for the 10 we kept out of that order) til we moved them outside (about 16 weeks). I know I have pics on the disc from my old camera, if I can find it, will post some of the things we have done.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Wow, beautiful pic, Cape. I was shocked you had no "roof" over your pen, so you must not have any danger from predators from the air. I used dog pen panels for the sides of my outdoor pen, but put cattle panels covered with chicken wire on the top to keep raccoons, possums, hawks, etc. out from that direction. I did not keep my hens when I moved 3 years ago, since for the month I took moving back and forth from houses, I saw red foxes VERY often, and didn't want to come out to find slaughtered hens one morning. They are very tricky, can dig in, and then when the hens go into a frenzy with danger inside their pen, they kill everything until nothing moves any longer. But, those girls were with me for a year and a half, and enjoyed them tremendously. Had Buff Orpingtons, Rhode Island Reds, and Barred Rocks. Very pretty combinations - black/white, dark red, and golden! They were all very good layers. I had 25 hens, one rooster (they say the hens like a rooster to keep a watch out for danger, they are not necessary for egg laying, though), and they laid anywhere from 12-22 eggs a day! Hens lay an egg every 25 hours, or so. And, when the weather gets cold, they will slow down some stop altogether. I kept heat lamps on them in the very cold winter 2 on during the day, 3 at night. Had some frozen eggs, but not many. Had to pick them up twice a day, and still got at least 12 a day! The light from the heat lamps kept them laying longer. White during the day, red at night.
And, loved spoiling them. No longer worried about rotten tomatoes in the garden, chickens loves them! Grasshoppers were fun, too! And, when I dumped grass clippings in a pile on garden, later spread it out for tilling in and found 50+ huge grubs, again, treats for the chickens. I would sit on a 5 gallon bucket, some would jump onto my lap, others onto my shoulders, rest fed from in front of me. Only thing to be careful of is if they get on your shoulder, watch your eyes! They think the black part is a bug, and could peck you in the eye! But, loved them, and miss them. Maybe someday I will get just a few, as I have the room and little barn to put them in.

Reaction score
Ironically, we have all kinds of wildlife for our area. Maybe 200' from their pen, we have a redtail nest, and they have never bothered the chickens. Not many fox near us (altho in the area), and do have a good deal of coyotes, but think they have enough food sources to not bother with the double fencing (aka the yard is fenced, dog proof, as their main pen is as well) and the dog;-)

I know there are many posts about what amount of eggs chickens can lay, how often, and our previous flocks did about what you said (an average of 6-7 eggs per week each), but this group misread the info. We have 13 hens right now. All spring in summer we got 16-18 eggs per day! Havent turned on their lights yet (need to), and they havent laid a single egg in a month or better. No sign of any predators getting the eggs. Not an egg, shell, NOTHING to be found...Hibby closed off their tunnel to the big yard just to be sure they werent laying them out there... not much to hide under either...

Ours get lots of treats too, but no grass clippings (dont bag with the mower). I tossed a bunch of water hyacinths out of the pond to them, and this group doesnt like them LOL. Oh well... more "fill" they shaall be....

Oh, and our "head Buff" is a major PITA. She comes running to be picked up! In one of the blurred pics I took, I was trying to push her back with my foot so I could take the dang pic, but it looked like I had kicked her so deleted that one LOL. She is like a rubber band... the more you push her away, the more demanding she gets LOL.

Reaction score
I'm back! Computer has been down and couldn't use my phone to post :( I love all the advice and stories thanks for sharing. It is already gotten cold here in Indiana,the chicks are soon to be 4 weeks old and are growing like crazy. They are currently in a tote I bought from Goodwill nice and cheap and I am thinking I will have to move them to something bigger really soon. I hear I can move them out at about 4 weeks with a heater? But I am thinking I will leave them in garage a little longer as I don't want them to get really cold. One of the Araucanas/Americanas is now my buddy as she flys on my every time I remove the screen. I just purchased some hardware cloth that I will be putting on the run(hopefully this week) while it warms up for a few. I will take some recent pics of the babies and post later . Have a great day.

Ask a Question