Anyone have chickens?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I love my chooks......I have 13 adult chickens and 5 juveniles in a dog pen until next week:) I am also getting 6 lavender cuckoo orpingtons in two weeks to stick under my broody...

13227503_1195800380452526_238454361795022239_o.jpg

IMG_7440.jpg

IMG_6377.jpg

IMG_7107.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My husband hates me. Chicken math has kicked in and I am going to need another coop. They are just so irresistible. He said he was surprised I only got 6 goldfish. They can breed on their own!! I don't have a rooster so I NEED to get more chooks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I love my chooks......I have 13 adult chickens and 5 juveniles in a dog pen until next week:) I am also getting 6 lavender cuckoo orpingtons in two weeks to stick under my broody...

View attachment 110155

View attachment 110156

View attachment 110157

View attachment 110158
I love my girls too! Mine are all Orpington (2 English, 1 American and an Australorp) 4 is all I really want, they are spoiled and with house, kids and work I couldn't keep up with more

I fear the day mine will go broody, I have no idea what I will do then
smdunno.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My husband hates me. Chicken math has kicked in and I am going to need another coop. They are just so irresistible. He said he was surprised I only got 6 goldfish. They can breed on their own!! I don't have a rooster so I NEED to get more chooks.
Lol that's me with koi, after enlarging the pond 3 times, we are about to start digging the second pond
smlaughing4.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
lovely chicks got there, we've always wanted chickens for eggs, but with our travel schedule it doesn't work for us. Hope to get some when kids go off to school and things slow down. Great coop you have as well, was it purchased or homemade? We also have foxes so need a fully contained pen.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
lovely chicks got there, we've always wanted chickens for eggs, but with our travel schedule it doesn't work for us. Hope to get some when kids go off to school and things slow down. Great coop you have as well, was it purchased or homemade? We also have foxes so need a fully contained pen.

My husband built it. You can search "wichita chicken coop" on facebook, they sell the plans for $5 and they are fully customizable.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@soxfan your husband did a great job!
Do you name your chickens?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@soxfan your husband did a great job!
Do you name your chickens?

Oh yes, they are pets. Except the leghorns. I got them as one day olds at tractor supply to stick under my broody because she had been broody so long I thought she was going to die. I hate the leghorns- they are skittish and not friendly. But they do lay an egg a day!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I love my girls too! Mine are all Orpington (2 English, 1 American and an Australorp) 4 is all I really want, they are spoiled and with house, kids and work I couldn't keep up with more

I fear the day mine will go broody, I have no idea what I will do thenView attachment 110160

Orpingtons are a pretty broody breed. You have to cool the breast patch. Some will keep them in wire cages with air flow under them for a few days. Or dunk in cold water up to neck. It never worked for me. I do need another coop soon or I need to give some away!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My husband and I weren't sure owning chickens would work out for us, so we didn't want to build the typical coop, we built a mini log house.
I chose Orpingtons because of their mellow temperament, I love them and spoil them, but I can't hold'em like I see people do (youtube) I'm afraid they might peck at me. I wish I wasn't so afraid, I guess I'm a chicken!
smlaughing.gif

Ask a Question