Anyone have ludwigia repens in their garden pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
Anyone have ludwigia repens in their garden pond? It’s the small red and green plant in the water just above the fish in the photo. It’s a native California plant, so I like that I don’t have to worry about introducing an invasive species to our nearby water way. And it looks like it might actually grow tall enough to obscure the contours of the fish cave and pot sitting on it, but I wasn’t sure how quickly it would spread or if it would play nicely with my eel grass if I didn’t pot it but instead let it grow in the bottom gravel. This is a stock tank pond, so no liner to worry about.

Attachments

• 526BEFEB-7E34-4A24-B5D9-DC28E93FF236.jpeg
    526BEFEB-7E34-4A24-B5D9-DC28E93FF236.jpeg
    312.9 KB · Views: 31
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I have it, but I only put it in the pond about a month ago...Don't see any rapid growth but it is really pretty. The man who sold it to me said if you plant it nice and deep it forms a beautiful tall plant...It seems to like it at the deeper spot (I have it a 24" and 12") both are doing well though just a little better deeper..I really like the way this looks in the pond. Your water is so clear that it's hard to see where the surface is! Beautiful plantings:)

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Have ludwigia in the pond by my front door, planted it in about 20” of water, but has spread up to the ponds edge and is no longer growing from the pond bottom.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
I have it, but I only put it in the pond about a month ago...Don't see any rapid growth but it is really pretty. The man who sold it to me said if you plant it nice and deep it forms a beautiful tall plant...It seems to like it at the deeper spot (I have it a 24" and 12") both are doing well though just a little better deeper..I really like the way this looks in the pond. Your water is so clear that it's hard to see where the surface is! Beautiful plantings:)
Thanks, re:the plantings comment. some of it is definitely experimental - only time will tell if the coleus is really going to tolerate being set that far into the water long term, for example. And a lot is only just now starting to grow back, so who knows, the whole thing might look totally different in a couple months as some plants thrive and others die off! Re: the depth, the ludwigia is just touching the water surface. I got a proper filtering and water polishing education from many here last year during design and set up :)

Ask a Question