Anyone keep a bog and chickens successfully?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm trying to figure out what to plant in my bog that the chickens might stay away from. We're in NY, I can't just keep the chickens away (the pond and bog are in the run, for the ducks that live there too). We're going to keep part of the bog outside the run and plant that heavily but there's no getting away from chickens in bog, even if I cage the plants. So just looking for ideas for things they might avoid, or things that could survive regular pruning.
Thank for any ideas!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
water cress grows like a weed and should help to clear the water, raise the water level in the bog in don't believe chickens love to be in water

Reaction score
Country
United States
water cress grows like a weed and should help to clear the water, raise the water level in the bog in don't believe chickens love to be in water
Thank you! I just spotted some watercress in the woods, I'll grab a bunch and get it settled once our repairs are complete.
I agree, the chickens don't seem keen to get in the water. But we were only able to make a long narrow bog so they have plenty of access to the plants from the edges/walls. Only the innermost plants would be safe, and only if I can cage them.
Or if chickens just hate them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just read something online about chickens and eating too much watercress. Since they will have access to it at all times it might be a problem but might not depending on how much they eat.

https://birdcageshere.com/2022/03/02/can-chickens-eat-watercress/
Oh wow, good to know, and thanks for the link! I'll have to see what else we're planting. We have 7 chickens and not a huge bog so it might be self limiting. Our we can plant it in the bog area outside their pen. Thank you!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you! I just spotted some watercress in the woods, I'll grab a bunch and get it settled once our repairs are complete.
I agree, the chickens don't seem keen to get in the water. But we were only able to make a long narrow bog so they have plenty of access to the plants from the edges/walls. Only the innermost plants would be safe, and only if I can cage them.
Or if chickens just hate them.
well ib doubt they will hate the watercress however if they do devour it try some mint or garlic next but make sure its no poisonous to them

Reaction score
Country
United States
Likely chicken-proof bog plants would include... Iris, Thalia, Canna, Rushes (Juncus), Sedges (Carex), Bulrushes (Scirpus, etc.), Cat-tails (Typha), including Dwarf Cat-tail (Typha minima).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
Toss a head of lettuce in the pen, They will peck at that more than the pond plants.
What kind of chickens?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Toss a head of lettuce in the pen, They will peck at that more than the pond plants.
What kind of chickens?
Thanks! I can see that working for a day or two but I'd be hard pressed to toss them a head of lettuce every day.
We have orpingtons and welsomers. Havent gotten as far with the maintenance as I'd planned, we need a new liner, so now I'm rethinking the layout so we can maybe get most of the bog outside the run. We'll see if I can make it work.

Ask a Question