j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think Colleen here has some of those frogs in her aquarium but she doesn't have any children. So they don't harm adults then?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
j.w. Idont know you would have to ask a doctor on that one

rgrds

Dave

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Adults are less likely to "play" with these animals and then stick their fingers in their mouths, so they run less risk of picking up the infection. The U.S. (and Canada) went through a similar scare with baby turtles in the early 1970's, I believe it was, which resulted in most states banning the sale of turtles under 5" in length. You can still get salmonella from the larger turtles, but since the price jumped from $2.00 to $50.00, fewer children are now given these pets to "play" with.
John

Reaction score
Yes jw adults can most certainly contract salmonella but, as Haro has said above, are "less likely" to put their fingers in their mouth, and typically have stronger immune sytems. Virtually all reptiles have some form of salmonella strain, some lizards have multiple strains, in their poo. You can also get salmonella from chickens, among other things lol, although its not as prevalent because chickens don't swim where they poop :D hah!

Reaction score
I truly appreciate posts like these, but things like this also makes me think about all the warning lables we DID NOT HAVE and we all survived ... okay, so I may have some neurological issues from sucking on my silver dollar turtles I got when I was four, but my doc said I should be ok ... sorry, bad joke ... Seriously, there is a major issue with parenting today. Our children grew up with all kinds of critters (not to mention what they found outside) and not once, were they ever sick because of it. I think I may have been sick when I witnessed my youngest brushing her teeth in the tadpole water (it was one of those kits where you hatch the eggs and grow your own frogs - she hasnt yet lived that down), but til this day we still have salmonella ridden critters. The list is much shorter now, than when the kids were little, but at present, we still have chickens, fire belly toads, fire belly newts, argentine black and white tegu, bearded dragon, and leopard geckos... The most simple answers are SUPERVISION and SOAP AND WATER... If a so called parent can not handle those two solutions, maybe they shouldnt have had children in the first place!!! Shit will happen, but at the rate kids ARE getting sick, suggests there to be a serious problem here!

Reaction score
Totally agree cape! Too many kids these days are raising themselves it seems, unfortunately they ALL want to be friends with my kids! Lol. Seriously though.. It is a sad situation. A friend and I were discussing this the other day, about all of the antibiotics and hormones in our food these days, in effort to produce larger animals, more abundant crops. It's no wonder that auto-immune diseases are more prevalent, not to mention we now have hybrid antibiotics that are now not working for illnesses that 20 yrs ago would have been solved by simple Penicillin. I truly believe we will be soon back to raising our own animals for food instead of coming from commercially mass produced farms.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Country
United States
My kids had 2 african frogs when they were little. The first one was Fred and a couple years later they got the second. His name was Friend because Fred needed a friend they said. Those frogs eat so many gold fish it wasn't funny and my kids would feed them french fries all the time. They were crushed when they found out the frogs were tossed with the dirty water. Fred used to get out of the tank every now and then and they would put him back in but they had so much fun with them. I think I convinced them the little hoppers got out of the tank and must have escaped out the door somehow. I never had a problem with the kids getting sick but just like with any reptile they always washed their hands if they touched one of them. Word of advice don't stock up on goldfish in their tank too much. They will bite as many as they can and the food will spoil and cause problems in your tank before they can eat it. Either buy smaller quantities or keep a separate small tank for their food.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Came across this interesting story that has come out of th US about aquatic frogs Dwarf Agrican ones on sale at reptile amphibian outlets and an outbreak of salmonella sweeping across the US

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co....ht_Salmonella_from_pet_frogs&utm_content=html

Interesting reading for parents

rgrds

Dave
Salmonella is no joke. I literally just got through testing 41 turtles for it a couple days ago after a volunteer at the rescue accidentally put some hatchlings into the adults tank. I have been keeping turtles for a long time and so far there have been very few clutches that did not have salmonella so with semi-aquatics it is almost guaranteed to be on them although not always in a form that is transmittable unless you put them in your mouth maybe :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL: and if you put a turtle in your mouth then, well you deserve it lol

Ask a Question