Anyone know what these are?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I posted to the new member thread but thought I'd have more luck here. I recently moved into a house that has a fountain in the front yard and a fish pond in the back. In the fountain I found these little white specks that seem to swim around. They are the size of a pencil tip. They are driving me crazy searching the internet for answers. I attached a picture if the specks in question as well as a picture of the fountain.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the group Missy

It's hard to tell from the photo but my first thought was some type of baby snail. But I really don't know for sure.

By any chance did the plants in your fountain come from the pond where you have fish?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't think it's mosquito larvae. We did have those in there but I put a mosquito dunk in there to get rid of them and haven't seen any since.

I will scoop some out and give them a look after work today. I took a video of them to show how they move, but I can't figure out how to post it here.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
They eat the algae and little bits of organic stuff that gets in, think zoo plankton for fresh water. They show up like magic, and are great food for baby fish and nano fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If you put a drop of fresh water under a microscope you will see all sorts of itty bitty life. Algae, crustaceans, quite a riot of free floating and swimming thingies. Daphnia is one of the larger critters...

Ask a Question