anyone make their own fish food?

Reaction score
I came across a web page that had a recipe how to make your own fish food.
they were putting in carrots and other veggies- not sure if carrots are what goldfish would normaly eat

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Traditionally people have been using gelatin as a carrier but I reacall hearing of people using something else. Maybe kelp not sure. It may be worth a hunt to find out what it is.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I used to make my own using beef hearts and Pablum. Froze the results in Tupperware patty stackers, and broke off pieces for my tropicals. May be too rich for goldfish, though.
John

Reaction score
dont think that raw meat would be good for the pond water i will try veggies and gelatin - might be fun to do

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Hopefully you're going to post back and let us know how it goes? I'd be interested in what kind of veggies are appropriate for comets and koi. It might be nice to use some leftover veggies from the garden to give my fish a real treat. I already give them peeled zucchini rings during the Summer.

keyplayer

Worst Winter yet...
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
Canada
I came across a web page that had a recipe how to make your own fish food.
they were putting in carrots and other veggies- not sure if carrots are what goldfish would normaly eat
I've been successfully using DUCKWEED as 90% of the food for my fish (goldfish & koi) they PREFER the Duckweed, but I feed a small amount of commercial «colour enhancing» food, and depend on that at the beginning and end of the season since in my zone (5a) Duckweed is a slow-starting annual. Since I started feeding Duckweed I have had zero mortality and zero water clarity problems in an all-natural pond with an oversized home-made filter.

Ask a Question