Anyone tried catfish or bass in a pond?

Reaction score
Hiya, I am currently digging out the hole for my pond. I dont have one yet.

I dont really care for goldfish or Koi that much. I was wondering if anyone ever tried catfish, bass or perch in thier pond? I should be able to catch some out of a local lake. Just curious if they will survive? And will they fight being in such a small place compared to a lake? Can I mix them or should I just stick with one type.

I'm going to make mine about 10 feet by 7 feet probably about 4 feet deep. I was thinking about maybe 2 feet underground and 2 feet above ground. Hopefully they wont freeze in the winter. I'm in Dallas, Texas so winters arent that bad but it still gets pretty darn cold.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Kevin N

Reaction score
My pond is approximately 11' x 16'. When my son would go fishing, if he caught small bass or bluegill he would bring them home and put them in the pond. He also brought home two trout. At one time I had four bluegill, two large mouth bass and two trout in the pond. I also had shubunkins, gold fish, wakins and two blue channel catfish. They had no problem surviving in the pond except they ate every smaller fish that was in the pond. It was a problem catching them to remove them. I only kept one bluegill. The bluegill gets along well with the other fish, and as long as it is the only game fish in the pond it is very friendly.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If you are not going to add Koi or GF, then go for it. Game fish like a lot of current and I'm not sure you will find the right food for them. Keep us posted on that food source.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
If you are not going to add Koi or GF, then go for it. Game fish like a lot of current and I'm not sure you will find the right food for them. Keep us posted on that food source.

When I was a kid, my father got me a large aquarium. I brought home a few small catfish and perch that I pulled out of the lake in our neighborhood. As for the food source, all I fed them were grasshoppers and worms I was able to get out of my backyard. I kept them for about a year. That was what I was planning on feeding them. (Just whatever critters I find in my back yard) (Plus I can always dig up worms and grubs.)

Reaction score
froglover said:
My pond is approximately 11' x 16'. When my son would go fishing, if he caught small bass or bluegill he would bring them home and put them in the pond. He also brought home two trout. At one time I had four bluegill, two large mouth bass and two trout in the pond. I also had shubunkins, gold fish, wakins and two blue channel catfish. They had no problem surviving in the pond except they ate every smaller fish that was in the pond. It was a problem catching them to remove them. I only kept one bluegill. The bluegill gets along well with the other fish, and as long as it is the only game fish in the pond it is very friendly.

Thanks for the info!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I think that would be great...but Koi are more interesting and colorful...
all off your friends seen blue gills........

Reaction score
DrCase said:
I think that would be great...but Koi are more interesting and colorful...
all off your friends seen blue gills........

The only reason really I'm not going with Koi is because everyone I know has them in their ponds. Just trying to go for something different. If I can't get the catfish, bass or perch to work in it, I will defintely go with Koi.

Just remeber how fun it was to throw a critter in my old tank and watch the fish come up to the top and git em. :icon_smile:

Have a 6 year old girl and 4 year boy. I'll have to see if they enjoy as much as I did when I was a kid.

Got the hole dug to 8 feet by 4 feet so far. And about 1 1/2 feet deep. Hopefull I will finish the hole next weekend.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Use sand on the bottom and if you have some old carpet, rim the sides with it before you install the liner. I did this to help avoid roots from penetrating the side since I have trees for shade next to the pond.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Use sand on the bottom and if you have some old carpet, rim the sides with it before you install the liner. I did this to help avoid roots from penetrating the side since I have trees for shade next to the pond.

Good idea on the carpet. Didn't think of that. Already have 5 bags of sand once I finish digging. Thanks!!

Reaction score
Hi KeviN,

I'm in the Fort Worth area and I've seen people out at Joe Pool Lake feeding dog food off the piers to the catfish. They seem to love it! Just a thought I had regarding what you could feed your game fish in the event that we have one of our typical summer droughts and crickets and worms get scarce.

Thanks

Reaction score
HIROHITO99 said:
Hi KeviN,

I'm in the Fort Worth area and I've seen people out at Joe Pool Lake feeding dog food off the piers to the catfish. They seem to love it! Just a thought I had regarding what you could feed your game fish in the event that we have one of our typical summer droughts and crickets and worms get scarce.

Thanks

Dog Food huh? Nice, hope my dog doesnt mind sharing. :D Thanks for the tip!

Reaction score
I've thought about that but, think I'll stick with the Koi for now. If you have any food shortages you can always head to the bait shop. Your kids will have a blast throwing bugs in to watch the carnage. Not too long and they will throw a pole in. Catfish would be easy, they eat anything.

Reaction score
I have a huge frog/tadpole problem in my pond, and was curious if a bass or bluegill would help with population control. We have 18 koi in the pond, some of them small at 5 inches. I would need something that would not interfere with the koi. Would a small bass help with this?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
intheboost said:
I have a huge frog/tadpole problem in my pond, and was curious if a bass or bluegill would help with population control. We have 18 koi in the pond, some of them small at 5 inches. I would need something that would not interfere with the koi. Would a small bass help with this?

Until the Bass sees the Koi as food. Keep him small and maybe you will be ok.

Ask a Question