Anyone use an above-ground pool filter?

Reaction score
I'm thinking of trying a craigslist, or new, above-ground pool filter for our pond. The so-called plan would be to wheel it over to the pond, run it for a few days, then put it away until the water gets greenish again.

We've got a 300 gallon tote full of strapping, but no mechanical filtering. Plus our pump is on the smallish side. In the summer the water starts going pea soup on us unless I shade the pond with shade cloth. That slows it down but I'd still like it clearer.

One potential problem I can see right off the bat is your typical above-ground pool sand filter sits on the ground beside the pool. So the pump is full of water all the time. If I set one of these at the edge of our pond the pump would be above the water line. It would run dry until it pulled water up to itself. Some pumps can run dry until they prime themselves, others will self-destruct.

It would be simple to "T" in a garden hose and fill the pump with water, then torch it off. That should work. But I was hoping to hear from some people who have tried this before I go spending a bunch of time & money only to find out the sand plugs too quickly, the pump burns itself up, etc. etc.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Don't know much about pool filters but brother in law offered me there new one when they took there pool down and i just said no it would get clogged to fast and i was worried about the chlorene it could have in it .A second pump for your pond and a second filter would help you more .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Why go through all that rigmarol each time when you could just as easily add a pump and filters at the start of evrything , this isnt the way to ruun a pond besides as sissy points out the pump would clog up pretty rapidly .
Pumps and filters do not cost the earth you can even throw a few together out of large blue plastic barrels nd some ppipes pipe connectors etc

Dave

Reaction score
a pool filer won't do anything to keep the pond clear of algae. If anything it will clog up much faster and cause more problems. Make a small skippy filter and add a UV light and you'll have clear water.

Ask a Question