Anyone using/recomend a Float Switch on their DIY Filter?

Reaction score
I'm making a DIY filter for my fish pond out of a large tank/barrel. The filter will be in my garage, so if something would happen that water isn't flowing back into the pond, i do not want to drain my pond into my garage. What kind of switch can i put on it so if the water gets so high it shuts the pumps off?

I do not want to have to run a over flow line out to the pound

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
You can buy a switch that will both shut off the flow as well as make an audible alarm by means of an electronic sensor that detects when water comes in contact with it. I can't remember the name of it right off the top of my head but any good plumbing supply would have one. As far as a float switch goes they are really easy to make yourself using one of those toilet bowl floats that are all in one piece and don't have the ball on them (image included) I hope that is sorda close to what you are looking for.

618Hj-MisvL._SY355_.jpg

Reaction score
You can buy a switch that will both shut off the flow as well as make an audible alarm by means of an electronic sensor that detects when water comes in contact with it. I can't remember the name of it right off the top of my head but any good plumbing supply would have one. As far as a float switch goes they are really easy to make yourself using one of those toilet bowl floats that are all in one piece and don't have the ball on them (image included) I hope that is sorda close to what you are looking for.

View attachment 84779

I will have to look into something like that. thanks.My garage is not near the house, so I would not need an audible alarm. It just has to shut stuff off when nobody is around.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I will have to look into something like that. thanks.My garage is not near the house, so I would not need an audible alarm. It just has to shut stuff off when nobody is around.
The alarm is optional so you would not have to engage the sound and it would still shut off the water. I like the electronic ones better cause a float can get hung up on something and then it is useless and your garage becomes the areas only wetland in a matter of hours. By the way I have one of the electronic switches that opens my ponds flood valve and it has worked perfectly several times when we have had heavy rains that caused to the pond to get to flood stage. Good luck with your project and let me know how it turns out.

Ask a Question