Anyone want to take a guess at this fish?

Reaction score
Hubby and I can not agree on WHAT this fish is... anyone want to take a guess at what it may be? We have Koi, Shubunkins, Comets, and an unknown white feeder gold fish that grew and grew and grew LOL

The pics are horrible, so going to post them all, in the hopes of between them, you can see all parts of the fish...

I am not going to say what I think it is, nor what he thinks it is... We do not agree... Can you all solve the debate? LOL

Attachments

• DSCN4575.JPG
    DSCN4575.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 279
  • DSCN4578.JPG
    DSCN4578.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 339
  • DSCN4579.JPG
    DSCN4579.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 369
  • DSCN4580.JPG
    DSCN4580.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 325
  • DSCN4581.JPG
    DSCN4581.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 324
  • DSCN4582.JPG
    DSCN4582.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 312
  • DSCN4583.JPG
    DSCN4583.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 331
  • DSCN4584.JPG
    DSCN4584.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 315
  • DSCN4585.JPG
    DSCN4585.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 312
  • DSCN4588.JPG
    DSCN4588.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 312
  • DSCN4589.JPG
    DSCN4589.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 296
Reaction score
Looks like a Common and Comet cross...basic feeder type goldfish. No picture really shows the mouth very well so it could be a Koi and goldfish cross.

Reaction score
Sorry, my attempt at the face shots were super blurry. The only thing I can say for the mouth area is hubby says (my eyes are not good enough) is it did have barbels...

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Looks to me like CountryEscapes Mystery Fish. Common Carp coloration. Like WB stated, COULD be Goldfish, Koi, or hybrid. having barbels only means it at least has some Koi genetics. I had a batch of fry this year and almost certain the whole batch are hybrids. Some look like common goldfish, some look like true Koi, some look like snoopdog with fins. Plain UGLY! I had 5 that were the common olive brown color, only two remain that way, the other three have now changed.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Plain UGLY! I had 5 that were the common olive brown color, only two remain that way, the other three have now changed.

Just curious, as what I've read says that you never really know what color they are going to turn out to be, and that some go through multiple transformations before their final color, but with regards to the genetics of body parts, shape, etc..... The hybrids, koi + goldfish, the "ugly" ones -- do they stay ugly throughout their lives? Or can they change into pretty fish as they grow? Again, just curious, and I don't plan to have koi, so not wanting to experience it first-hand :)

Reaction score
Whatever it is, it will be interesting to watch it grow. He is now conceding it is a hybrid:) Because of the barbels, he was saying a SUPER UGLY koi...

Of the younger comet babies, none of them have the hump behind their head, but our giant white feeder does (but has short fins)... Was thinking a comet to be the other parent (due to color) til he was insisting on the barbels, so then was thinking goldfish/koi cross... the good news is if it doesnt get pretty, it should be sterile LOL.

It was too big to go into the biggest baby pool (I moved some small babies in there), so it is outside in the comet pond (formerly known as the future bog LOL).

Reaction score
No idea if this guy will stay ugly, or change... ugly is in the eye of the beholder, and this one does have a long tail fin, so it has SOMETHING going for it LOL

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Awe, he looks cute to me! He will most likely change color and your "ugly ducklying fish" could grow up to be a nice swan! Please give him a chance! It's nice to have a large selection of fish, be nice to him, he might hear you! :)

Reaction score
LOL... he isnt going anywhere. Hubby caught him with the intent of putting him in one of the baby pools... but a.) he was too big for some of the little guys I just moved, and b.) all the comet babies were put into the bog, I mean comet pond (forget about a bog til next year when the other pond goes in)...

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Just curious, as what I've read says that you never really know what color they are going to turn out to be, and that some go through multiple transformations before their final color, but with regards to the genetics of body parts, shape, etc..... The hybrids, koi + goldfish, the "ugly" ones -- do they stay ugly throughout their lives? Or can they change into pretty fish as they grow? Again, just curious, and I don't plan to have koi, so not wanting to experience it first-hand :)

Do they stay ugly, well that's a question for how serious of a keeper you are. TRUE koi fanatics will almost always say yes when it comes to hybrids. But they can change to a better look. Will a goldfish, koi, or hybrid get to a point and stay with that look. some will some won't. My biggest goldfish changes all the time, it never looks the same from one season to the next. One of my shubbies changes on a regular basis as well but not nearly as drastic. Pretty much most will develope their base color by the end of the first year. I have a couple of so called hybrids that are really quite nice looking fish to watch. also one that is similar to Capewinds that is most definitely part koi that is getting better all the time. It will never be a show fish or a standout, but it's not nearly as ugly as it was a few months ago either. lol

Reaction score
Some of the TRUE koi fanatics freak out even seeing a Butterfly Koi LOL... I cant imagine their reaction to a goldfish/koi "mutt" LOL. I want a variety of fish. Eventually, our koi will be separated from the shubunkins and comets, but that is more about size differences. If we run out of room, well, I guess it will be just time to build another pond;-)

I have another baby in the inside pool (largest batch), that I am thinking may also be a hybrid. It looks more koi to me than this guy (wider head, forehead definition and mouth), but questioning its tail fin (more of a fork than what our Butterfly koi have)... His back is blotchy like a calico, cream colored sides (at present) but without red (or at least not yet).

Reaction score
I have both butterfly and regular. Husband said just get butterfly, but some of the colors I wanted were too high priced for me in the long fin, so got the standard and must say they are just beautiful even without the long fins. Of course, a nice long fin slowly floating around in the pond is really hard to beat in my mind, just so relaxing to watch.

Reaction score
We have both standard and butterfly as well... Hubby is more on a butterfly kick right now but some of the colors I like, I just cant find them with the longer fins... I think we have some gorgeous koi, but a SHOW person will say they are just pond grade... which is fine, I dont want to pay big money for a fish. We buy what we like, and the story ends there. Have to go out for a bit, but will try to post some pics to this conversation of some of our fish.

Ask a Question