Anyone with 5,000 + gallon pond and larger then 16x20 ft?

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Hello all, thanks for all help and opinions.

I still would like some opinions on lighting and electrical from people who have done larger ponds.

My pond is 6,500 gals, 2-4 ft deep, 22 x 35 ft, 3 tier waterfall, two 5,000 gal/hr main pumps. Will have a fountain of 1300 gal/hr.

Natural stone pad on right is for a gazebo. No trees or plants yet or grass.

What you think about it? Any ideas?

I was goind to wait until complete to do photos, but I'm desperate!!!!

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Most important to me now is what type of edge lighting and underwater lights and waterfall and island lights. $$$ is not as important as getting the right look is. Easily $1,500 for lighting is no worries.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is really nice looking! What kind of lights? underwater or landscape? Electrical, you mean for the pumps etc?

just saw your post, what sort of look are you wanting?

I will see if I can find the link to the company I bought mine from, they had some real nice quality lights, doing all sorts of lightening.

Take a look at these, I bought from them and totally pleased with the quality of the lights. Solid stainless. They have been in the pond for about a year now.

http://www.oceanmistmaker.com/ledwholesales.html

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Thks for the reply addy1. Yes they are #1 on my list. What type of lights you get from them?

I really like the look of the 72 bulb LED multicolor changing. I have one I bought locally. Also have their 3watt Led Hi-intensity light & floating multi-colored fountain light/pump. Have not tried it yet.

The landscape lights I think I have down. Going to use about 6 or 7 landscape lights on the 12 volt system including the island.

I was thinking of 5 0r 6, 72 bulb flashing colored LEd lights for the waterfall.

For the inpond lights, the sales guy said I should use the 3watt Hi-intensity white lights and shoot the light straight out horizontal on the first tier underwater. So about 4-6 of them. However that would light up all the pond except the middle deep area. Would that look good? I was thinking of the LED12 bulb lights color changing. They use up 2 watts. So 4-6 of them instead of the 3 watt ones.

And of course a pond this size I want only 1 electrical line, so cord length is important. That's why I like these ocean mist ones, 33' cords.

You have your photos on this forum? Thanks for your help.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
4ft deep close to the waterfalls.

These photos are 2011 fall. I have changed the wfalls since and put up the gazebo. When I get lights in I'll take new photos.

That's what I'm working on, lighting design, no easy task either. Some guys say light up the whole pond underwater. Not sure I like that. Would look like a pool then. I want to highlight the edges as well.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I have lights in and around the pond, I think that the lights look really good underwater shining on the lillys from below, they give shadows thru the lillys when the fish swim underneath! Combination of underwater and ground lights work best I think. :)

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I really don't care for the fish being lit up deep in a pond. It makes the fish try to swim with the dorsal pointed to the light. It's natural for the fish to think the light at night is sunlight and they will swim sideways. The deeper the lights are set the worse this effect takes place. I have an aprox. 11,000 gallon pond now. No lights yet. I was thinking of trying low voltage LED spot lights (8 for each pond) from above head height to get less glare. This way I can aim a few at high lights above water and a few directly in the water to see the fish more clearly. I may use a subtle under water ight but if I do it will just be to high light the waterfall or the air rising from the bottom drain. I used halogen lights on my last pond and they really showed the fish up rather well.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
That's why I'm having problems. So many opinions and different designs. And now with all the pretty LEDs to choose from, wow. My head hurts!

I want to get it right, as lights and electrical is not cheap to redo.

Having everything reach a plugin is another challenge. It's a long way around this puppy.

Transformers have to be mounted as well.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Wow being only that deep does it freeze up solid in winter

Most ponds in city limits here are 2ft due to regulations. I had to get a permit to make it deeper. Not sure if it would freeze solid, as I have a heater and pump/areator that keeps a hole open.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Ok folks, pics are gone and not coming back until I have lights to show. :cheerful: Check my other topic on Lights for my plans.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I really don't care for the fish being lit up deep in a pond. It makes the fish try to swim with the dorsal pointed to the light. It's natural for the fish to think the light at night is sunlight and they will swim sideways. The deeper the lights are set the worse this effect takes place.

I didn't know that, but also do not see the fish trying to swim sideways. I only have the lights on for a while at night, timer, in the summer. One is deep (5 feet) one is on the bog wall shelf. In the winter they on are for a few hours, the fish don't seem to be bothered by the lights at all. No koi, maybe they act different to lights then goldfish.

Ask a Question