Api ich cure water changes

Reaction score
When treating with ich cure it says to do water change after 48 hours, what if your ammonia goes up after 24 hours. Should I just add ammonia remover, or should I do partial water change? If I should do water change should I treat the new water with ich cure before adding it so that its the same amount that was in tank before taking some of old water out?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay Marsha, looks like you have hit the reset button on your pond and that is good. Are you certain the Prazipro is out of your pond at this time? I would not mix Prazipro and Api together. If you did water changes and used activated carbon that should have removed the Prazipro.
To answer your questions directly: Yes, follow the API directions exactly. I think they say to stop using carbon (by the way, change your carbon if your really want to use it in the future) and continue with aeration. If you can wait the 48 hours by all means do so. But if you have an ammonia spike, yes, do a partial water exchange and replace the removed amount of API. I am so confused about your water conditions. Some posts say ammonia or nitrite present. Is that still the case? If so, is there anything else 'dead' in your pond that would cause a perfectly cycled pond to go 'unhinged'? Look for a dead bird or something on the bottom.

Reaction score
No no ammonia or nitrite at all. I was just wonder if I could of had a spike not know it and by the time I found dead fish it have gone down. Since finding fish ammonia and nitrite has been zero every time. Only a small spike in nitrate. It was .5 then the next day 0. I have not had a test come back for ammonia or nitrite since cycling pond. Also I don't have fish in pond , I removed them and are in a Rubbermaid storage container with good filtration and are being treated with antibiotics right now. I'm thinking they have a bacteria infection. My black fish had fin rot and I noticed grey and white patches on my orange fish. They other thing that concerns me is I looked at black one right after I put it to sleep and it almost looked like salt specks but couldn't be sure but don't see it on fish still alive. I am just not sure if I want to start adding 100 different things to water so right now I decided to wait and they are just getting antibiotics. Started with erythromycin but after reading more on bacteria disease like colummaris switched to Doxycyclin since it seams to work better for that plus fungus. I looked all over for furan 2 but it seems to be discontinued because of fda, guess they are getting into the pet fish business.

Reaction score
I also have kanaplex coming tomorrow . I figured I would try it if I don't see an improvement.

Ask a Question